• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hayes Smartmodem 1200 B

Ole Juul

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what the switch setting are? There's only one 3 sw dip so I can probably figure it out, but it would be nice to have some information on this modem.

I've got a couple of these and this one is an '83 model so it would be a good choice for a 5150 IMO. These also are wider than a regular XT slot, so are really meant for the PC anyway. BTW, I see that the Hackery has one on eBay if anyone else is interested in this generation.

Does anyone know what the switch setting are? There's only one 3 sw dip so I can probably figure it out, but it would be nice to have some information on this modem.

I've got a couple of these and this one is an '83 model so it would be a good choice for a 5150 IMO. These also are wider than a regular XT slot, so are really meant for the PC anyway. BTW, I see that the Hackery has one on eBay if anyone else is interested in this generation.
Poke around here:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/modems-telephone-ISDN/index.html

Thanks Agent Orange. I've spent over an hour searching for information on this modem. I did finally come across the Stason site. They only have info on the 2400, but that one has 4 switches and not 3. Still, it could give a hint. There's reviews out there - particularly Info World May '84, but no switch settings.

I imagine that one is for autoanswer and the the other two for com port. Here are a few bits of interesting information that I found on this historical modem:

Same functions as Smartmodem1200 (external)
Autodial and autoanswer.
110, 300, 1200 baud
List price $599
Comes with SmartmodemII terminal emulation software.

I still haven't found any manual or description of the settings, but I've been testing. So far what I have discovered is that it is always on 03F8 as shown by debug. Another, very important attribute, is that it only responds to capital letters. THAT took me a while to discover. I've seen that once before in an old 1200 baud modem, but it slipped my mind until after I'd wasted two hours. :)

There is a jumper with 3 pins which doesn't seem to do anything. The modem seems to work normally and will connect with another if the 3 switch block is set to either on-on-on, or on-off-on. EXCEPT, I can't get it to hang up once connected. I have no idea how to change that, because it seems software independent, and the switches don't seem to change that situation.

I got it! The modem will now also hang up when asked. I'm not sure what it actually does, but it is in fact the setting of the jumper which controls this. For the record: jumper P2 has three pins labelled A-B-C. A and B are now connected. Also, in case someone else is trying to do this, I am using the init string ATX4V1Q0S7=30.

I got it! The modem will now also hang up when asked. I'm not sure what it actually does, but it is in fact the setting of the jumper which controls this. For the record: jumper P2 has three pins labelled A-B-C. A and B are now connected. Also, in case someone else is trying to do this, I am using the init string ATX4V1Q0S7=30.

Kind of an old thread but here is the info to answer your question:

SW 1: ON = Com 1 OFF = Com2
SW 2: ON = RJ12/13 Jack OFF = RJ11 Jack (default)
SW 3: ON = Modem follows carrier (default) OFF = carrier to true at all times

Jumper 1:
AB Shorted = Modem monitors DTR
BC Shorted = DTR is set true no matter its status

Now only if I cold find my modems settings. It is a later revision 1200B w/ six switches and no jumper. Obviously they have incorporated the jumper into the switch block. However, not sure why you need six as 5 would do the trick.

BTW: Does yours have the volume control on it or not?

Thanks Shadow Lord. Better late than never! I don't recall a volume control. It's cold and snowing, and I have to go outside to get to the basement this time of year, but I'll look at both my 1200bs tomorrow and get back to you.

No rush. My 1200B doesn't, but there is one listed on eBay now w/ the volume control, jumper and three gang dip switch. The manual I have for a 1200B doesn't mention a volume control at all. So there are at least three different revisions of the 1200B long board that i know of. I was just wondering which one you have.

Trying to figure out the smartmodem 1200b with an IBM 5150 ... neither of which are very smart ;)

RJ11 cabling going from "TO JACK" to my wall outlet. (nothing connected to the "TO PHONE" port).

The 3 DIP switches at: 1) ON for COM1; 2) OFF for RJ11; and 3) ON for Modem follows carrier (default).

Dialing up numbers (i.e., 415-200-1010 SAN FRANCISCO:CENTRAL) with CrossTalk XVI gets the modem to make dialing noises ... but can't get a connection or hear anything else past that point.

I'm not even sure if my house has dial-up service (not a single landline in the house). We do have AT&T DSL though.

Maybe it would be better to hook-up a telephone receiver to the 1200b and have it talk through a cellphone?

I'm not even sure if my house has dial-up service (not a single land line in the house).

That is the first thing to check. If you have VOIP vs. POTS then the modem will not be able to complete the handshake with the other modem (I assume you are dialing another modem, correct?)

BTW: Does yours have the volume control on it or not?

OK, I've been to the basement now. :) I have two, one from 1983 and one from '84. They look almost the same, and neither have a volume control. I'm curious where they would put that. Is yours on the bracket like more recent modems?

OK, I've been to the basement now. :) I have two, one from 1983 and one from '84. They look almost the same, and neither have a volume control. I'm curious where they would put that. Is yours on the bracket like more recent modems?

Yes, they had it on the bracket. It seems as if there were many revisions of the 1200B. I even have a half length one that fits in a 5155 nicely. :)

Why wont it connect with VoIP? Will that effect ALL modems?

As far as I know yes. I am by far not an authority on the subject but a while back I was looking at getting a Magic Jack for a BBS line to setup an old school honest a goodness dial up BBS. But my research seemed to indicate that Magic Jack and VoIP lines don't do well w/ faxes and modem connections. I also know of one person who switched to VoIP and could not send and receive faxes anymore. Problem fixed when he switched back to POTS. More info here. As always YMMV.

Back