• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What software box art would you hang on your wall?

Tiberian Fiend

Veteran Member
I bought this boxed copy of Compaq DOS 5.0 and think this purple floppyscape is cool enough to make me want a print of it to hang on my wall, which brings me to this topic: what other box art (excluding games) do you think would be worthy of hanging on a wall?

compaqdos5.jpg

what other box art (excluding games) do you think would be worthy of hanging on a wall?

Why exclude games? Some game art is downright beautiful. Two that immediately come to mind:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/wasteland/cover-art/gameCoverId,692/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-booter/pinball-construction-set/cover-art/gameCoverId,321/

If exclusively restricted to non-game art, some of the Robert Tinney BYTE cover illustrations are both clever and definitely worthy of hanging.

I think he means that it's because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and game art... there's just thousands of examples. Though tbh, I think we'll have a pretty short thread if we exclude game box art and/or themes :)

I also fondly remember the old BYTE covers... they were always very cool. I really can't think of any retail software or utilities that I would want to use as art, however. Most such software had boring artwork. Anything else wouldn't promote the business aspect of computing that they were trying to convey.

I think game covers were pretty for a reason, i.e. to attract buyers while covers to productivity and other software didn't have to be as eye-catching. People would buy those for very different reasons. So in that respect, the exemption makes sense and the question might be rephrased as "what non-game software had a too pretty cover for its purpose"?

I agree on the Byte covers, and think a fair deal of those actually are for sale as reprints both at the artist's own website and through his eBay shop at reduced prices.

Back