• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for Dos 1.0

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I know this has got to be good for a laugh, but what the heck, I am looking for a copy of Dos 1.0 disks and manual.

and I know why don't I wish for something that might happen like winning the lottery.

I know this has got to be good for a laugh, but what the heck, I am looking for a copy of Dos 1.0 disks and manual.

Apparently not a lot of computers were sold with 1.0 and by the time the market took off 1.1 was available. I've got an original 1.1 diskette. They're pretty common. Images of both 1.0 and 1.1 are available for study on the net. Give 'er a Goog. :) Version 1.0 diskettes tend to be expensive whereas 1.1 not so much.

The two versions are basically the same except 1.1 was rewritten to support double sided diskettes. They're lots of fun actually. It feels really odd to not have sub-directores. The basic programs are classic, especially the DONKEY game written by Bill Gates. Version 1.1 was the last DOS written by Tim Paterson, although he was apparently involved with 2.0.

As for the manuals, I've never seen them, but perhaps someone can link to a scan. Surely there must be one out there.

Thank you for replying, I had read where sub-directories were not supported by Version 1, I knew that if I did find a full copy that it would be expensive. I lucked across a copy of CP/M-86 version 1.0 for the IBM PC. It's in DR packaging but I understand is the same as the IBM package. It included the operating manual, the user's guide supplement and there are some notes and printouts added to the manual by whoever owned it originally. There is even a "Digital Research Software Performance Report Form #84563 included.

Maybe I will get lucky with Dos 1.0 sometimes also.

Thanks,

Jimmy

I keep hoping for the same... :) 1.0 and CP/M-86 are the only OS's that I really want which I'm missing from my collection. Until then, images work fine for tinkering... but not for manual use/displaying :)

Maverick:

I am not sure exactly how different the DR packaged CP/M-86 version is from the IBM version. I had not thought about looking for a disk image from the IBM packaged CP/M-86 version 1.0.

I managed to put IBM PC DOS 1.00 on to a 1.44 3.5" floppy. It involved a program called Flopper. Yeah, Donkey is a hoot.

Originals do pop up on ebay from time to time but yeah price can get up there. I don't recall the last few end prices but I know they sell for over $100. The rest of it ends up depending on condition and what it comes with (boxed, manuals, etc). Similarly Windows 1.x. Then of course you're likely buying a $200 novelty item (which admittedly will probably sell for that again) but the whether the disks are good is probably a disappointing reality. Don't get me wrong, I'd still bid if I had the cash ;-)

Yeah...I watched that auction go down. I had a $100 bid on that one, and was amazed at how high it went :) Even the ones offered by the_hungarian didn't reach near the $680 that one commanded (and IIRC, he had one that was shrink-wrapped).

As far as Windows 1.x.... if someone really just wants to have original diskettes, they can "cheat" and find a PS/2 Collegiate Kit (released as part of the PS/2 Model 25 Type 8525 push for the educational market). That kit included Windows 1.x as well as DOS 3.3 and a mouse. The full kit is hard to find (a guy had 4 of them on ebay a few months back - I think the highest one sold went at $35 plus $12 ship. Got mine for $28 shipped, IIRC). That's the only time I've personally seen a complete kit. I've seen the disks pop up occasionally.

Yes, I was going to bid on that one also, but the guy ended the bidding early when I was out of town. There also was a copy that sold on eBay on 02/09/2012 with VisiCalc 1.1 for $$304.99. I asked a guy who sells on eBay why you would end an auction early. He told me he had a couple of times and had his mom just buy it because he changed his mind about selling it.

Thanks for the info about Windows 1.0, I will start looking.

Jimmy

I asked a guy who sells on eBay why you would end an auction early. He told me he had a couple of times and had his mom just buy it because he changed his mind about selling it.

I hate when people do that.... very surprised that he admitted it, however. Just having that in your ebay messages is enough for getting banned should the person you told that to report you to ebay.

Maverick1978

I guess you totally lost me, I asked a friend I know that sells on eBay when I was at his house one day, why someone would end an auction early and he told me the reason he has was he changed his mind, and had someone he knew buy it. I am not sure what that would have to do with any of my eBay messages and why I would be banned. I admit what I know about eBay you could write on the head of a pin. Could you please elaborate, if I have someone violated an eBay rule, I am not sure what or how, but would like to know, to make sure I do not do it again.

Thanks,

Jimmy

I think Mav was meaning the seller not you. That's a violation technically for a seller to end it early or have false bidding and they if one cared could get banned I suppose if enough complaints or evidence was presented. You're fine, nothing wrong :)

There's an interesting Windows 1.0 boxed copy but price is too high IMO and interestingly enough I can't tell what version of 1.x it is from the box. I imagine it's not 1.0 as implied but probably ignorance of the seller not knowing (or ignorance on my part too). I was tempted to query about it but even then I wouldn't be spending that amount. Pretty neat though (it's the Intel offered copy).

barythrin:

Thanks, like I said I really do not know anything about eBay, I know I did not think it was fair for him to end a bid early, but I was not sure if I violated a rule or not, not that me getting banned from eBay would make my wife un-happy, she is tired of me dragging junk into the house as she puts it. She would turn me in for sure if I ever violated the rules.

I have not looked is it on eBay? I really would like to get a copy of PC Dos 1.0, but know it is going to be expensive.

Thanks,

Jimmy

I keep hoping for the same... :) 1.0 and CP/M-86 are the only OS's that I really want which I'm missing from my collection. Until then, images work fine for tinkering... but not for manual use/displaying :)
Do you have the IBM UCSD Pascal that came out with the org IBM PC? I would trade a copy of orig CP/M 86 for that if you had it, copy or orig. does not matter.

I have some of the UCSD Pascal. I have not been able to read the system 2 disk, which is reguired to boot, I think. I have some of the original 6 disks but not all and two of the original 5 manuals. I am trying to assemble a complete set. I will be more than happy to provide you a copy of what I have when I get everything together, or when I can read the disks that I have. I have Digital Research's Boxed CP/M version 1.0 in the original box and with disk, am curious how different it is from the IBM boxed version.

Back