• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandy Sensation 486 desktop PC

aaron7

Experienced Member
This was my first computer that I got free and scavenged parts to get it working back in 1994 when I was 10!

Would love to find one just to have. Doesn't have to be working. Can be missing RAM/HDD/CD/CPU.

I know it's been awhile since you posted, but I just dug up my old sensation from storage yesterday with monitor, when I bought it I made a few upgrades a year or two later, but I should have the original parts too. Just let me know if you still need one.

Found a pic of mine :)

20120325_194906.jpg

I just picked up a Tandy Sensation! II (1994 model, no PSSJ sound), same as the pictured one above. I have to go through it and see what it has in terms of hardware. It does work fine, boots into WFW 3.11 and some of the original software (like WinMate) appears to be still on the HD.

I just picked up a Tandy Sensation! II (1994 model, no PSSJ sound), same as the pictured one above. I have to go through it and see what it has in terms of hardware. It does work fine, boots into WFW 3.11 and some of the original software (like WinMate) appears to be still on the HD.

WinMate? Was that like a Windows version of DeskMate? Ironic, considering that just a few years earlier, Tandy was trying to promote DeskMate as a competitor to Windows 3.x.

njroadfan, you found a Sensation II? I believe I had just the Sensation. Wonder what the differences were?

I know mine had the 486SX in it when I first got it. Upgraded it to the DX2-66 from my saved lunch money :p

If you get a chance to post a pic please do!

I think yours was a Sensation II, the original model didn't have a keyboard lock, didn't use a standard 3.5" drive and came with a Phillips (?) interface Cd-ROM drive that lacked a motorized tray. I used to have an original Sensation! years ago that someone gave me, but tossed.

The Sensation II came with a 486SX-33, larger 340MB hard drive, Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 video, and a standard sound card (the original model had a custom sound system with PSSJ compatibility built-in with RCA audio out jacks). It also has more ISA slots, and a 2nd 5.25" drive bay.

Yes, WinMate was a Windows version of Deskmate, complete with cheesy forced "Multimedia" enhancements like spoken audio prompts.

Last edited:
Ahh ok, well then if you get bored with your new toy shoot me a PM!

Is the fan quiet on these, or does it put out a jet-engine blast like my 1000SL? My Gateway 486DX-33 has a loud and unnecessarily powerful fan as well, which makes me appreciate my fanless 1000RL even more.

I have a Tandy Sensation which works with Windows 3.1. It has the two CD Roms and the reboot software. I also, I really do believe...have the manual somewhere too...So if someone wants to buy it...We can negotiate a price and shipping costs will vary depending on where you live.

We can youtube its current state before you buy off this forum...and you can pay via paypal if you desire for added piece of mind.

Jeff Rayno
912-484-5281

Got one in that was complete but modded. Was pretty grungy so I gutted it completely and cleaned every nook & cranny.

Pulled out the AMD DX2-66, the two larger hard drives, and the non original sound/modem cards.

Not sure if the Sony floppy drive is original or not. Can't tell if it just faded differently.

Looking for the original SB16 sound card with daughter board (for the front audio controls), the original 2x CD drive, and original RAM. Original 9600 bps FAX/2400 bps modem is needed too!

Not sure what all the original part specs were.

20120605_110631.jpg

Last edited:
Looks brand new! Keep in mind the condition you got it in was after I removed a layer of crud. It was pretty icky when I got it, so I quickly wiped it down with Simple Green in the driveway! I hate tobacco smoke, people, don't smoke next to your electronics!

The "before" shot. That picture makes it look cleaner then it really was.

This is worth posting for others looking to restore these machines.

Radio Shack's Support Database: http://support.radioshack.com/support_computer/2509.htm

-The original soundcard was a Soundblaster 16 CT1730, the early version with the volume dial in the back. It should be noted that the daughter card appears to connect to the Waveblaster header and taps the audio output and power from there, and has a headphone amplifier with digital volume control. Its likely a replacement can be fabbed up on a breadboard if an original can't be found.

The front mic input connectted to JP14 on the soundcard, which Creative never documented the pinouts of (at least I can't seem to find it!). The rear mic input is covered with a plastic plug.
Ref: http://support.radioshack.com/support_computer/doc17/17442.htm

-The CD-ROM was a MKE/Panasonic interface, model CR-562/563 connected to the soundcard.

-The modem is a tough one, it was a voice capable 2400bps data/9600bps fax with a Sierra VoDaFax chipset.
http://support.radioshack.com/support_computer/doc2/2727.htm

-Original hard drive was a Western Digital AC1210 212MB drive
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/legacy/Legacy.asp?Model=AC1210

The date code on the floppy drive seems to indicate its original.

The front mic input connectted to JP14 on the soundcard, which Creative never documented the pinouts of (at least I can't seem to find it!). The rear mic input is covered with a plastic plug.

From Vogons:

For anybody curious to know, I found the pinout for that damn test point connector on the early creative labs cards. It's the big one located just in front of the IO ports (usually as AUDIO PWD)

From top to bottom:

1 MIC GND
2 MIC GND
3 MIC IN
4 SPK GND
5 SPKR Speaker Output - Right Chan
6 SPKL Speaker Output - Left Chan
7 SPKRL Left Speaker return
8 SPKRR Right Speaker return

The jumper next to it (usually labelled RSPK_EN) is connected to to pins 5 and 8 on the AUDIO PWD connector (so that you can jumper those two pins together).

For newer models with stereo mic support:

Audio Extension (JP2 and JP3)

Pin Signal Description
JP2-1 MICR microphone input right channel
JP2-2 MICGEN microphone input ground
JP2-3 MICL microphone input left channel
JP2-4 SPKGND speaker output ground
JP2-5 SPKR speaker output right channel
JP2-6 SPKL speaker output left channel
JP2-7 SPKRL speaker output return left channel
JP2-8 SPKRR speaker output return right channel

JP3-1 SPKR speaker output right channel
JP3-2 SPKRR speaker output return right channel

tandy sensation desktop pc

tandy sensation desktop pc

i was just given one and it works. family member was going to trash it when his mom died. i got the computer, key board, moniter and what looks like one of the first ptinters that came out. Anyone wants them..free..just say so. I have no need for them. I just "rescue" things and find homes for them as a hobby.

i was just given one and it works. family member was going to trash it when his mom died. i got the computer, key board, moniter and what looks like one of the first ptinters that came out. Anyone wants them..free..just say so. I have no need for them. I just "rescue" things and find homes for them as a hobby.

Can you give us a more specific location than "A, A"?

Back