• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How much should I use my C64?

TeamRocketReviews

Experienced Member
I have a very nice condition Commodore 64C, but I don't want to wear it out too much. I use a house fan on the PSU, so how much should I use it per day? Right now, I do around 30 minutes per day.

Use it as much as you want! It's not like the C64 is anywhere close to rare. Besides, the whole point of collecting computers is to use them and have fun with them - not a lot of fun to be had simply looking at a machine.

And if you're really worried, pick up a spare or three. The C64 is the single most common computer of all time. It still holds the Guinness World Record for the computer that sold the most units. If you're going to be worried about a computer, the C64 should be the absolute last one to be concerned about.

-Ian

The C64C power supply - white rectangular box - is probably the most reliable of all C64 power supplies made back in the days. At least in 220V land, I don't know about your region. I almost exclusively use C64C power supplies to my C64's as well as VIC-20CR models because those power supplies seem to work better than the earlier, black square or grey wedge shaped ones.

If you're just talking about keeping things running and caps functioning, once a week is probably sufficient and you could rotate with other systems if need-be. I mean, it'll last a long time no matter what though, as the others have said it's not an overly rare system but fairly simple. The biggest problem I see is folks touching the joystick port and shorting out that chip from ESD.

I've never had a Commodore PSU run at all hot, especially if you're not loading it down with a big cartridge like the REUs. Seriously, this isn't something you need to be worried about.

I have yet to see a worn out computer... I mean, socks wear out, even tv remote controls, but a computer ?

Back