• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New-to-me Apple IIc+

ajacocks

VCForum Administrator
Staff member
I just scored an Apple IIc+ at a hamfest. This is actually the first of that seemingly-rare machine that I have ever seen.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to accessories that I should try to find, for it? I'm mostly planning to use it, connected to my projector, to play old games. Was there ever a mod to add back the deleted audio out?

I also seem to remember that UltimateApple2 was working on a IIc VGA card, before they went on hiatus. Has anyone heard the status of that?

Apologies for my last of knowledge!

Thanks!
- Alex

A 5.25" floppy drive is nice for running DOS 3.3 based games and such, though there are workarounds using DOSMASTER and AmDOS on 3.5 disks.

The Smart Port Virtual Hard Drive project is probably the only currently available mass storage option for a IIc+: http://www.spvhd.org/

Hold down the escape key while resetting the system to put it into 1Mhz mode (it boots at 4Mhz) if games are running too fast.

I've been looking for an Apple IIc memory expansion card or an Applied Engineering Ram Express card to expand mine to 1MB of RAM, but haven't found one yet.

I did notice that my IIc+'s color killer isn't as reliable as the one on my //e, and with my LCD screen sometimes the text would have color bleeding after going into graphics mode then coming back to text.

I just scored an Apple IIc+ at a hamfest. This is actually the first of that seemingly-rare machine that I have ever seen.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to accessories that I should try to find, for it? I'm mostly planning to use it, connected to my projector, to play old games. Was there ever a mod to add back the deleted audio out?

I also seem to remember that UltimateApple2 was working on a IIc VGA card, before they went on hiatus. Has anyone heard the status of that?

Apologies for my last of knowledge!

Thanks!
- Alex

The Apple II VGA vaporized due to lack of interest.

It seems amazing, to me, that lack of interest would kill the VGA adapters. What do Apple II fans hook classic hardware up to? I'm personally down to one working CRT monitor (Commodore 1085). I dunno what I will replace that with, when it dies.

On the Commodore side of things, there are lots of VGA adaption possibilities.

Am I missing something obvious?
- Alex

Apple IIs put out composite video, same as many television sets can use, and some high end LCD monitor accept (Dell Ultrasharp, etc.). I just discovered that my 42" Westinghouse LCD will sync at 15Khz, so I can hook up my Apple IIgs via RGB.

So there are some solutions out there. There are also scan converters that will convert 15Khz RGB to VGA.

Indeed, scan converters are an option. But, as I have experienced first-hand, the quality of the output from one doesn't come close to matching the quality of output from on-board RGB to an RGB monitor.

Very cool that your Westinghouse will sync at 15mHz, but I didn't think that the IIgs RGB output was connectible, directly, to _anything_, except for the Apple IIgs RGB monitor, since it output analog RGB?
- Alex

VGA is analog RGB, so if the monitor will sync at 15Khz, you can build a DB15 to HD15 cable with the correct pinouts. I ran across the Westinghouse 42" while looking for compatible monitors. I have an NEC Multisync 15" LCD (1560V+) that also syncs at 15Khz, though it's not listed in the spec sheet.

Back