• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Drivers for Unisys Aquanta EN Laptop.

Have you gone through and unplugged and replugged all the cables? is there a VGA port that you can verify if there's anything happening when you power it on?

Does it get as far as turning the backlight on on the screen, or is it completely black? I have taken LOTS of laptops apart over the years and only times I have had similar happen is when the video plug wasn't properly secured, but the fact you say it isn't POSTing at all, makes me wonder if something else came loose, is the CPU on a daughter card? is it secure, how about RAM is it securely seated, you mentioned there's two boards in it, is the connection between them good?

The backlight doesn't turn on. Does it damage the video plugs if they are bent, not at the connector part but in the middle? I think all of the cards have a good connection to each other, I'll look at it again. The RAM is good.

How bent? is it like factory fold over, or has it got pinched or creased somehow? you could try booting up with video disconnected and external VGA, if its bent over and shorting out it could cause it not to post, unhooking should give you picture on VGA IF thats the problem (I say should, because I have run across a rare laptop here and there that requires software to enable external VGA, most will be hotkey or simple detection of external screen to get external VGA picture though)

When I was trying to put it back together, I had to crease it to get it to fit back into the connector. It was a very tight squeeze to get them to fit. I did hook it up to an external monitor with the internal video plugs still plugged in. Pressing any hotkeys didn't get any video.

It could have broke connection or even shorted out the cable, I would maybe try to power it on with the video cable unhooked, and see if it POSTs on VGA. Is this one of those plastic ribbons or is it actual "wire" cable? I have had where the plastic ribbon type ones go into the connector slightly cockeyed and can make connection with the wrong pins, could maybe be misaligned in the plug. Without actually seeing any of this I'm just guessing based off work I've done on other laptops, PDAs, cell phones, and the like that use those cheap plastic ribbon cables. Maybe Chuck(G) can chime in again since it sounds like he is familiar with this exact model, I worked on a Compaq that looked similar on the outside, but it was an AMD K6 platform, so its not even going to be close on the inside.

I haven't forgot.

I haven't forgot.

Belated update, but I did take pictures of the video ribbon wires and the plug, plus the way I have to bend the wires to get them to connect to the port. It's a tight squeeze in there, and without the wires being bent, I can't really get them to go into the port. Having bent the wires may have broken them, but I hope not.

The bend nearest to the actual connector is where I bent them.

IMG_0760.jpgIMG_0761.jpgIMG_0763.jpg

Do these ribbons disconnect at both ends, or just the end shown here? If both ends can be disconnected you could use a multimeter continuity setting to check if there's a break in the cable somewhere. Even if the other end wont disconnect you might be able to get the multimeter probe on a solder pad for the other end and still test it.

If it all tests good, I really dont have anything, I would have to guess something got static zapped, or maybe some small SMT component got broken off in dis/re-assembly.

Hopefully it can be resurrected.

I would certainly think that the cables disconnect at both ends. I found similar cables online and they disconnect at both ends. When I get the next chance, I'll perform the multimeter test.

Back