• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 1351 mouse, left handed?

I don't have one and am speculating from internet pictures but even if it wasn't you could probably find a joystick extender cable (straight through serial mail to female) and extend it yourself. I'm not seeing very good details on how long the cable is, but someone who has one probably could check for you.

FWIW, I'm also left handed but have used a mouse with my right hand for the past ~20 years. Depending how you'd use the 1351 mouse (GEOS perhaps?), I think in worst case you might get along with using your "wrong" hand for a short time.

Well, there goes buying a mouse for my C64. Commodore didn't think about the 15 percent of us. What I do with things that are un-lefty-friendly (like some styluses that're teathered to the screen) is just sit to the right of the screen (in front of the device) and just use my left hand to use the device. The screen may be a little harder to see, but it's much easier to use the device.

I thought all the left handers went to Mac? j/k
The PCs still outnumber the Macs in my collection. So Steve Jobs was left handed and Woz (maybe) was too. Guess I have to learn the insides of Macs now, I was so good at PCs...........

But it depends on which side of the keyboard you put the mouse on.:)

Wow. You mean to tell me that amongst all you vintage computer guys, none of you have a 9-pin extender cable? FOR SHAME... :)

Seriously... they're cheap, and they work. You should look one up - it'll work great with your 1351. And your joysticks. And your Sega Genesis. And your Atari. And your Amiga. And... well, you get the idea.

You can find them all over the place, as they're popular for the Genesis... Though in a quick search, it seems that they're fetching more at auction these days that I'd have guessed (almost worth the trouble to wire up your own at that price) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/200734527723

All you have to do is make an extension cable that swaps the two mouse button wires.That would allow you to move the mouse to the left side of the computer AND swap the left and right mouse buttons. Easy.

-Ian

Is the Amiga mouse capable of being used on the left side? Is the cord long enough? I use a regular mouse on my modern PC, but I turn the cord over to the left side.

Yes - it's capable...though if you don't want to train your fingers to reverse the buttons, you'll need to wire up an adapter or custom cable to swap the mouse button wires, as Ian suggested. It's not hard,. provided that you're ok with soldering, and can be done for < $10 in parts.

Even if either weren't, I still think you could find any 9-pin extension cable at your local video game store which should carry them and be compatible with whatever choice ya end up with.

Let's think about this for a minute... it's going to have more than 10" of cord length. The C64 breadbox and C64C are what? 18" in length? At minimum, it'll have 3' of cord length, and probably has closer to 5'. That should be plenty to wrap the machine and get it semi-comfortably situated for use for a left-handed user.

I mean, we DID have left-handed users back in the 80's too ;)

I mean, we DID have left-handed users back in the 80's too

No kidding! I'm a lefty, and for the most part, I've never gotten the whole left-handed mouse thing. With the exception of trackballs, that is. On my gaming machine I use a trackball, and it has to be on the left, but I DON'T reverse the buttons, and never have. Otherwise I always mouse with my right hand. Doing IT and sitting at lots of other people's computers would be unbearable if I could only mouse left-handed.

Maybe that had nothing to do with the subject at hand. I guess I was just surprised a thread could get so much traction about using a mouse left handed! :eek:

If it turns out it doesn't reach, and If 3 feet is enough to add what you need, there's this, and it has free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YourCableSt...284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c626d2d94

Or if you want a 6-footer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YourCableSt...517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c606642bd

None of that addresses the buttons of course!

Last edited:
Back