• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Packard Bell Multi-Media

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Hi Gang, I have a Packard Bell Multi-Media for sale. Includes 3.5 inch floppy and CD-ROM. I beleive that the Hard drive is 512MB
but not sure. Ram is at 8 MB. Also the on board 486sx has been upgraded to a 486DX-2 66 Processor. Asking 75.00.

Here ya go Bill. Oh yeah it has a DVD drive in it not a CD. My Mistake on previous listing.

Attachments

• 100_0883.jpg
    100_0883.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0884.jpg
    100_0884.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
Frank, you changed the CD out from the original... for shame! ;)

FWIW, I can tell you folks that this thing is immaculate inside and out. How do I know? - because he got it from me :)

The board was brand-new looking, but the lithium battery was starting to show fuzz at its corners (no damage was on the board whatsoever). I clipped the lithium battery and soldered in a button cell (that's the only hardware modification I made to the machine). FWIW, I still have the original, working, factory hard drive, with what appears to be an original, factory installation outside of a printer driver installed in Windows 3.1 - if someone from here buys it, I could probably be convinced to get the drive to Frank to put it back to original if someone wanted it (I had planned on imaging the drive because I was so impressed by how little the file system appeared to have been modified from factory - there was even only a single document saved to the machine). In addition, I believe that I've a slightly yellowed Packard Bell keyboard to put with this machine, though I know it wasn't the one that came with it originally (the one I have, I believe, started appearing w/ the machine that Bgoins12 linked to)

Frank may have put a video card in there at one point - don't remember - though it wasn't necessary except to expand capabilities (as with all PB's, the video is on-board). Speaking of expansion, the memory was all on-board, and the simm slots were empty. IIRC, you could go up to 12mb with this machine using 2x4mb simms.

As far as the chassis, it looks to me to be VERY similar to the ones they used on their 386-class machines. My first computer, a Legend 6xx (forget the number) had a chassis layout similar to the one Bgoins12 linked, although the design and aesthetics more closely matched this one with the textured finish (the one Bgoins12 linked debuted around 1995, IIRC, with their first DX2-66 offering)

All in all, it's a nice little 486-class machine, it has some expansion capabilities (had an Overdrive socket, IIRC), and more importantly, it's got a smaller footprint than many 486 boxes - which was why Frank talked me out of it in the first place!

Back