• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIc Check Disk Drive help

ProfessorK

Hello everyone.

I have always been fascinated by classic computers, however, I only have experience with the Mac 512 Ke, IBM XT, and C64. Today I happened upon an Apple IIc at a thrift store for 9.99. It included the machine itself, power brick, monitor and a sort of Apple brand video modulator. I got the machine home, hooked it all up and this is an exact play by play of what happens:

- The machine beeps and instantly displays the "Apple //c" text at the top of the screen.
- The "Disk Use" light comes on and the drive whirrs for a moment
- "Check Disk Drive" appears at the bottom of the screen.

Now, I have searched your forums and everyone to have discussed this message also has other problems that come up as well, which is why I made a new thread. I hope this isn't wrong, but I have read elsewhere that the IIc doesn't need a boot disk. I have no disks for the machine whatsoever, but was hoping that if it doesn't need a disk, I could at least get it to the command line. Is my Apple dead in the water? Are there any solutions?

Thanks.

Wow, I feel silly for making a whole thread for this.

Well, everyone has to start somewhere! By the way, welcome to the forum.

Control-Reset will reset the machine but not attempt to boot the disk. Control-OpenApple-Reset will reboot the machine from the disk.

When you're at the BASIC prompt that you got to without booting from disk, you won't be able to save or load programs, because you're not running DOS, and the IIc has no cassette interface.

I would suggest looking at the ADTPro software - with only a trivial cable, you can connect your IIc to a modern computer, and transfer disk images. You can even do it with no disks whatsoever - you just have to type a couple commands into the IIc. It's really easy, and you then open yourself up to the whole wide world of Apple II software available online in .DSK format.

-Ian

Well, everyone has to start somewhere! By the way, welcome to the forum.

Control-Reset will reset the machine but not attempt to boot the disk. Control-OpenApple-Reset will reboot the machine from the disk.

When you're at the BASIC prompt that you got to without booting from disk, you won't be able to save or load programs, because you're not running DOS, and the IIc has no cassette interface.

I would suggest looking at the ADTPro software - with only a trivial cable, you can connect your IIc to a modern computer, and transfer disk images. You can even do it with no disks whatsoever - you just have to type a couple commands into the IIc. It's really easy, and you then open yourself up to the whole wide world of Apple II software available online in .DSK format.

-Ian

Thanks for the welcome!

That software sounds incredible and like quite a cost saving move. I'm certainly going to look into it. I've also been eBaying for some cheap software so I can see if the drive works or not. I'm currently looking into a sealed copy of Galaxian by Atarisoft for something like six dollars.

Here's to hoping you have better luck then I on ebay concerning IIc software. Everytime I bid on something I get all excited being high bidder with an hour left, just to be sniped by someone with a minute left. :\

No luck I swear! xD

Yeah, it seems like everyone on eBay is a sniper nowadays. I tend to go for "buy it now" because of it. It's more expensive, but at least I know I won it!

Hey friends, I have another question about my little Apple. I have found an eBay lot of Atari Software for the Apple II. It says it's compatible with the IIc, but I wasn't sure if my monitor (pictured below) is compatible. I had heard somewhere about old monochrome monitors that couldn't display graphics. Am I going to be able to play those games?

IMG_20120410_195924.jpg

I had heard somewhere about old monochrome monitors that couldn't display graphics. Am I going to be able to play those games?

Yes, Apple II games will work fine with a monochrome monitor. You're thinking of the IBM PC, where the original Monochrome Display Adapter (MDA) was text-only.

Back