• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

UR TI-99/4A Hexbus Interface up on eBay

Same guy had another one on about a month ago.

IF I remember correctly it went for around $400-500. Looks like this one is going to go for quite a bit more!

I was actually interested in it until it blew past $400. Then I heard the voice if the wife in my head saying, "You spent how much on a what?!?!?!"

First time I've seen one of these for sale, ever...would be good to match my other Hexbus peripherals, but the price is getting way up there.

Hexbus TI-99/4a Interface

Well, I won it... blew my computer budget for the rest of the year. Finally have an almost complete Hexbus collection sans Wafertape drive and video controller (I don't count the 5.25" floppy since I have an actual prototype DSDD controller - wire wrapped.) If the interface inside this is as simple as I think it is, I'm guessing I'll be able to pull out the EPROM and dump it and maybe make it available for MESS, etc. There's probably a PAL or two in it; I'm sure Ksarul has the equations for them as well.

I bet it was Ksarul that I was bidding against... hehehe.... darn, don't you have enough ER peripherals, Ksarul? :) :)

Congrats on the acquisition. I figured it would go up another hundred or so.

Good luck on finding a wafertape. I picked one up knowing it has issues.

As far as the video controller, I would strongly suggest you NOT hold your breath. I talked to a fellow who has one because he was part of the CC-40 team at TI! He told me it has a non-standard 2-prong adapter and he doesn't know the values or polarity on it because the adapter got tossed!

He's figuring there are probably only a dozen or so of those in the world as most were (brace yourself) dumped when TI closed out the hexbus and CC-40 stuff! I whimpered when he told me this!

Anyway, enjoy the new purchase!

Well, I won it... blew my computer budget for the rest of the year. Finally have an almost complete Hexbus collection sans Wafertape drive and video controller (I don't count the 5.25" floppy since I have an actual prototype DSDD controller - wire wrapped.) If the interface inside this is as simple as I think it is, I'm guessing I'll be able to pull out the EPROM and dump it and maybe make it available for MESS, etc. There's probably a PAL or two in it; I'm sure Ksarul has the equations for them as well.

I bet it was Ksarul that I was bidding against... hehehe.... darn, don't you have enough ER peripherals, Ksarul? :) :)

Got me in one, Acadiel. :) And as a side note it might work with your QuickDisk too. Michael Becker had one of the Video Controllers for a while too--so he might at least know the necessary connections. As Curtis noted, good luck finding one. The mutant unknown thingie I got from Ernie might be a HexBus Interface too--it did have the right connector inside the case, though it may have a different DSR, as it didn't register the same way when he tested it. I have one of the TI HexBus DSDD controllers too, so we have a means to test that if I can make it to Chicago this year (and it is on my plan list). The proto you have was designed by Michael to replicate the TI prototype (and as he noted, correct a few hardware bugs, so yours is actually the most functional HexBus drive interface around). Your HexBus Interface may have one of the 99/8 OSO chips in it--I put its schematic on WHT. I have the source code for the DSR too--and I also put it up on WHT, so you can have lots of fun with it.

Well, here's the ROM from it... I have detailed pictures that I just took.

Also had a chance to dump most of the programmable ICs from the HX5102M DSDD Hexbus controller. I just can't dump the PALCE610 Lattice chip with my reader (it doesn't know what it is).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19597743/ti-99-4a/hx5102m.zip <- Michael's HX5120M
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19597743/ti-99-4a/hexbus_interface.BIN <- Hexbus controller for the TI-99/4A

You are more than welcome to compare with yours.

Maybe one of these days I'll sell my whole CC-40 collection to you or Curtis... CC-40+, working printer plotters, etc. :) Probably have put $2K into it all over the years (including what I just bought from eBay).

Back