• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Apple Lisa 2

Just got one. Pictures soon, as soon as the shipment is here.

Sounds like a non-issue now but Apple Lisa 2s I think are going for around $800-900 right now (lower than usual.. perhaps the economy?). I admit I'd be temped if I had the cash lying around. There was a day (well heck, 7 years ago) where you'd find just a mouse or keyboard for the Lisa would be over $100.

Sounds like a non-issue now but Apple Lisa 2s I think are going for around $800-900 right now (lower than usual.. perhaps the economy?). I admit I'd be temped if I had the cash lying around. There was a day (well heck, 7 years ago) where you'd find just a mouse or keyboard for the Lisa would be over $100.

Lisas aren't that high, unless they're working, which isn't often. You can get a nice one with no keyboard or mouse for about 600 I'd say.

$730 shipping and all. Screen has little burn in and I need to retrobrite it. It lost the nice white/beige color but it's yellowed evenly all over so you can't tell.

I see a lot about retrobriting on forums like this one, but I highly recommend against it on a "valuable" item. The process is going to leave that 30+ year old plastic extremely brittle. If you ever intend on shipping the Lisa you'll most likely end up with a cracked unit even if packaged extremely well. When these plastics get very brittle it doesn't take much force to crack them and a little pressure from being moved around in a box is certainly enough to do so.

"The process is going to leave that 30+ year old plastic extremely brittle."

None of the retrobrighting I've done (which includes one Lisa) has left my plastics extremely brittle? A few do have fairly brittle plastic but they did so BEFORE the retrobrighting. The plastic was brittle because it's been exposed to direct sunlight for a very long time, which is what turned it yellow in the first place.

I've noticed no difference at all in the brittleness or otherwise of plastics before or after the process. Plastics that were brittle before remain so, and those that were not brittle don't seem to be affected. Scientific tests may or may not show a difference, but if there is one at all I haven't noticed it.

The only problems I've had with Retrobright is "streaking" if I overcook it. Lisa panels retrobright well, but I'd be careful with the keycaps. These darker plastic can "streak".

Each to his own though. If owners are worried about retrobrighting, don't do it. For myself the benefits outweigh the risk if something is cheese-yellow and should be white..

Tez

And why do you care so much, I don't really like how you are following me and admit to it like it's nothing.

Because your posts are mildly entertaining, in the same sense as when I see a bad car wreck.

Because your posts are mildly entertaining, in the same sense as when I see a bad car wreck.

More admitting to stalking me, makes me feel great. If you have went to kindergarten you may or not have heard the saying ,"If you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all." If you insist on stalking me, at least you can not be rude to me and interrupt conversations, such as this one, with completely miscellaneous comments telling me how $230 is not enough for a Lisa. I would recommend you leave me alone even if you want to follow me. Now, please keep this on topic.

Last edited:
None of the retrobrighting I've done (which includes one Lisa) has left my plastics extremely brittle? A few do have fairly brittle plastic but they did so BEFORE the retrobrighting. The plastic was brittle because it's been exposed to direct sunlight for a very long time, which is what turned it yellow in the first place.

I've noticed no difference at all in the brittleness or otherwise of plastics before or after the process. Plastics that were brittle before remain so, and those that were not brittle don't seem to be affected. Scientific tests may or may not show a difference, but if there is one at all I haven't noticed it.

The only problems I've had with Retrobright is "streaking" if I overcook it. Lisa panels retrobright well, but I'd be careful with the keycaps. These darker plastic can "streak".

Each to his own though. If owners are worried about retrobrighting, don't do it. For myself the benefits outweigh the risk if something is cheese-yellow and should be white..

Tez

The chemical process involves oxidation to achieve its effect. Through the chemical process of oxidation you are breaking chemical bonds within the plastic, I don't see any way this would not leave it more brittle.

The chemical process involves oxidation to achieve its effect. Through the chemical process of oxidation you are breaking chemical bonds within the plastic, I don't see any way this would not leave it more brittle.

That may be a simplistic view. I don't know the chemistry of plastics, but my understanding is that retrobright alters bromide (which causes the yellowing). These molecules have originated from the fire retardent in these plastics. These bromines have bonded with oxygen caused by the exposure to air and UV over time. (See retr0bright.wikispaces.com "The science bit"). Retrobrighting knocks the oxygen off the bromine replacing it with a hydrogen which at the same time gets rid of the colour.

To my knowledge it doesn't attack or break bonds in the ABS plastic matrix itself.

Tez

More admitting to stalking me, makes me feel great.

You're the first person I have ever seen claim that following an interesting thread is "stalking". What is this, your first time on an Internet discussion group?

"If you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all."

Well, I was wrong: apparently this isn't just your first time on an Internet discussion list, it's actually your first time on the Internet! "OMG someone * disagreed * with me online! How dare they!"

If you insist on stalking me, at least you can not be rude to me and interrupt conversations, such as this one, with completely miscellaneous comments telling me how $230 is not enough for a Lisa.

What? The entire basis for your Lisa thread(s) was that you were looking to learn what it takes to acquire one, so that you could make a replica case. I simply offered the helpful comment that, if your budget is only $230, then you should reconsider your approach. It was good advice, which apparently you took, because you paid $730.

I would recommend you leave me alone.

I'd recommend that you learn to socialize with grown-ups.

Now, please keep this on topic

Hey everyone, what do you guys think about the latest trends in spring fashion? Please elaborate and provide plenty of links. I think SE87 would look good in these outfits:

HERMES-MENS-SPRING-2011-2.jpg

Evan, that's mean. :D:D
People disagree with many things an many places, that's just a part of life.

Heck, I'd just like to have a Lisa. Working or not, they look cool. And have you drawn up any models of what you're trying to make?

Last edited:
Evan, that's mean. :D:D
People disagree with many things an many places, that's just a part of life.

Heck, I'd just like to have a Lisa. Working or not, they look cool. And have you drawn up any models of what you're trying to make?

Of course, I'll let EvanK make himself look like an adolescent moron while discussing spring outfits. I almost have every detail of the Lisa memorized and I devote almost if not all dissesembling and reassembling my Lisa 2. I draw many models and I could post a picture of a Lisa 1 drawing a did. There are a few inaccuracies but for a machine so rare it's hard to get a "hands on" view of it. Just to be amused by EvanK even more, I've been on the 'net since 2001-2002. However, my first true "vintage" computer I learned on was a TRS-80, the first I saw was a Commodore PET 2001. So I've always had a bit of love for Commodore. :).

You're the first person I have ever seen claim that following an interesting thread is "stalking". What is this, your first time on an Internet discussion group?

Well, I was wrong: apparently this isn't just your first time on an Internet discussion list, it's actually your first time on the Internet! "OMG someone * disagreed * with me online! How dare they!"

What? The entire basis for your Lisa thread(s) was that you were looking to learn what it takes to acquire one, so that you could make a replica case. I simply offered the helpful comment that, if your budget is only $230, then you should reconsider your approach. It was good advice, which apparently you took, because you paid $730.

I'd recommend that you learn to socialize with grown-ups.

Hey everyone, what do you guys think about the latest trends in spring fashion? Please elaborate and provide plenty of links. I think SE87 would look good in these outfits:

View attachment 8565

Look if you wish to "ahem" FOLLOW my threads you may very well do so,just don't bother me anymore. I mean we wouldn't want to OFFEND anyone now WOULD WE? As in everything, there are the people who do bad and those who do good, so I will always be the better person no matter how mad you try to make me. Sorry, had to vent a bit.

C'mon SE, he's just messing around with you and making a joke. Just have fun here and talk about what the subject brings up. Well, vintage computer related.

Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your progress.

Look if you wish to "ahem" FOLLOW my threads you may very well do so,just don't bother me anymore. I mean we wouldn't want to OFFEND anyone now WOULD WE? As in everything, there are the people who do bad and those who do good, so I will always be the better person no matter how mad you try to make me. Sorry, had to vent a bit.

If you really want to be the better person you would not respond to his posts. I find all of it humorous... He's trolling you and you just keep falling for it. My advice to you is learn how to ignore people on the Internet who offend you. If you can't you're going to spend a lot of time on conversations like this one.

The image with the caption "ZOMG SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET DISAGREES WITH ME!" comes to mind but I can't find it now.

If you really want to be the better person you would not respond to his posts. I find all of it humorous... He's trolling you and you just keep falling for it. My advice to you is learn how to ignore people on the Internet who offend you. If you can't you're going to spend a lot of time on conversations like this one.

The image with the caption "ZOMG SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET DISAGREES WITH ME!" comes to mind but I can't find it now.

Trust me, I could care less what a lifeless old guy who finds enjoyment tormenting me says. I find it funny seeing how he responds with spring fashion, I don't like those styles anyway. ;)

Back