• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 128 80 Column not working.

I believe us Europeans might've hold onto the C64/128 for a longer while than most US people did, always looking to upgrade to the most recent and best computers. As far as I understand, tapes in your part of the world almost went extinct as a media for games around 1984/85, while they were plentiful almost all to the C64 end in 1992/93 in Europe.

Reprogramming is by far not a snap with your fingers. It would involve a lot of disassembly and special knowledge. In particular for programs you don't have the source code to, so you would have to fix them based on the binary form. Sometimes it can be done, but will involve a lot of work.

You're right, in the States tape faded out pretty quickly. Even 1984/85 seems a bit late; I'd place the end of tape closer to 1983. That doesn't necessarily mean nobody used tape after 1983--it may have been that people who had disk drives bought more commercial software.

Tape pretty much ended once Commodore solved its supply issues with disk drives. Commodore pointed out in its ads that a 64 with a 1541 and a printer or monitor cost the same as a bare IBM PCjr, and US consumers were happy to oblige, at least on the disk drive.

A fair bit of European software did appear here, in the form of illicit copies, fixed to run properly in NTSC. So if you're willing to dig, some of those copies probably still exist today.

Just a quick comment on that...I just heard recently that the late model 1084S-D2 did NOT have RGBI capability. I've never owned one, but this seems to have been confirmed. Seems that by that time Commodore was putting their focus on Amiga.

I have an 1084-D and I have been very happy with it. It does composite, split chroma luma, and both analog and digital RGB.

Back