• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5170--No Video or POST.

Have you tested the video card + display on another machine recently?
Just a stab in the dark, you're not using one of those EGA / VGA combo's and it's set to use the wrong port by chance?

It did end up being a faulty video card. I swapped one out from my 5160, so now I'll have to find an EGA graphics adapter for this 5170. Thanks everyone!

Well, at least it's working now.:D I should've checked that first, but the first thing I thought was wrong with it was the RAM, so I went to that first.

Now I just need to find an EGA adapter and two piggybacked RAM chips to take the bad one's place.

Well there's the problem, I don't have any extra 64 or 128s laying around, so that's why I'm seeing if anyone has any to spare.
And while I'm at it, I'm also in want of 9 RAM chips to fill up the third bank in my AST SixPak Plus card.

The two new memory chips came in today. I replaced the bad chip with a good one, but the computer still only counts 256kb of RAM, even though both banks are populated. I did set the jumper on J18 to indicate that 512kb is installed on the computer. What's causing it to ignore Bank 1?
(And for the IRC folks, the RAM error message is gone.)

One more thing. The AST SixPak Plus (short) manual says that if the computer has an existing 512KB of onboard RAM, then the highest amount of RAM the SixPak can have is 128KB, thus totaling 640KB. Does this mean that the SixPak will ignore all but 128KB of the RAM it has? It is fully populated and I'm trying to get the computer to use it's RAM combined with the SixPak's RAM.

Back