• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Latest Scam using Amazon.com

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
I've received 3 notices advising me that my "order cancellation" has been confirmed. What they want is for you to open the notice and give them your credit card info so they can charge back to you. I talked to Amazon today and they are aware of the ploy. It appears that their server has been hacked. Below is an example of what I've been getting:

From order-update@amazon.com

Subject Amazon.com - Your Cancellation(xx-xxx-xxxx)

Dear Customer,

Your order has been successfullycanceled. For your reference, here's a summary of your order:

You just canceled order 11-111-1111placed on May 15, 2012.

1 "Esteem"; 2001, SpecialEdition
By: Paula Moore

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Thank you for visiting Amazon.com!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
http://www.amazon.com

That's kind of funny. I just got done reading a whole article about that very topic.

Got 3 so far... First one for some weird book, last one for another book called vessel ROFL.

Edit: Just checked my mail, guess what was in there!?!? ROFLMFAO #4 of course!

Dear Customer,

Your order has been successfully canceled. For your reference, here's a summary of your order:

You just canceled order 11-962-8992 placed on May 15, 2012.

1 "Retracting"; 2001, Special Edition
By: Jamie Moore

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Thank you for visiting Amazon.com!

Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
http://www.amazon.com

I've had something similar happen, only it was wayyy worse. I got an email saying I bought about a hundred things. One that stood out was:

1080p 3D 72 inch LED HDTV............$5,999

The total was $1,249,907

It was of course fake, because I got an unencrypted email a few minutes later that said:

There was a problem processing your credit card number. Please complete this order info.

Credit Card Number:

Security Code:

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for shopping with Amzon (Yes, it was spelled wrong)

I bought some Scotch-brite products from Amazon recently and haven't received any scamming emails. Just the normal confirmation email.
marcoguy said:
1080p 3D 72 inch LED HDTV............$5,999
Don't you wish that were in a REAL confirmation email.

Yeah got one not too long ago and I admit, looks pretty good other than the URL for verification obviously is fake and pointed to some lame other url that I didn't bother to check out. Text/verbiage wise looked convincing though (saw it come through on my phone and I did recently order stuff from Amazon) although I wasn't sure I had it tied to the email account that received the SPAM. Saw some similar spam on a separate for youtube videos being blocked which was also an interesting spam/scam. I was curious if they were smart enough to tie any actual video (the one in question) to your account but it doesn't bother and it's just some random youtube url to make it look legit. I believe it also just had the text to imply youtube.com but the url really pointed somewhere else. Ironically it's been a while since I've seen a URL with the real site then @ some other URL which is difficult to parse when it's a long URL.

Back