• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCSI CDROM in a 5160

marcoguy

Experienced Member
I am getting an SCSI cdrom drive with a 1gb hd and a controller for both of them. The controller has an onboard BIOS so it will boot off them. The HD has PC-DOS 2000 on it. I was just wondering what to expect with them. I can imagine the HD will work normally. I am wondering how fast PCDOS 2000 (1998?) will run on an IBM 5160 (1986). I would also like to know how the cdrom drive would be read in DOS 3.3 which i boot off a floppy as my current system.

P.S I know the 5160 is 1983, but mine in particular was manufactured in nov 1986 and has 640k ram w/ a v20 and soon will have a 286 upgrade card.

The hard drive is already configured to boot PC-Dos 2000 Rev 1, i use it on a floppy and it works in an XT. how your going to set it up is the hard drive on the middle connecter and the CD-ROM on one end and the controller on the other. It's got the controller drivers AND the NEC CD-ROM drivers all ready setup, how do you think i was able to test it so quickly. :p

Ahhh. Thankyou for the clarification. I should really just ask u things first! :D so I still am wondering how PC-DOS would react to the CDROM drive.

k2x4b524[ has already mentioned its been setup to load the drivers already. Fingers crossed barring the planet imploding it's just plug 'n play.

Last edited:
nope, it's already setup to run the CD-ROM too, i couldn't find my 5.25 to 3.5 adapter though, but those are mega cheap anymore, but yea, just plug it in this order -Card----Hard Drive----CD ROM- You will be fine, the CD-ROM is set for termination and so it the board, which is why the HDD goes in the middle, you will get the big box before the caddy for the CD-Drive though. And the CPU connector is gray, it's in a black 40pin extender to protect it's pins, BE CAREFUL when you remove the black thing, i'm not sure if i can source anymore right away.

Okay. I've alredy asked u about the username, but why do u have JOZXYQK[/B][/B] as your signature?

and yes, it should just be plug and play, if not, let me know

ahh the JOZXYQK

It's the sound you make when you get your sexual organs trapped in something!!

Your reading a book on your lap, then SLAMM!!

JOOZZZXXYYQQQQKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back