• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Qram V2.02 Instructions

ibmapc

Veteran Member
I'm looking for configuration instructions for Quarterdeck's Qram V 2.02 or any other version. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

I have v1.0 but I don't have all the documentation. Is there something specific you're looking for? If you give me some idea I may be able to locate something that might be helpful.

I'm looking for the options for "device=qram.sys" statement in config.sys. I figured out that FL=0 causes Qram to take over the ems page frame for umb, but I know there are more options than that. Just trying to make the most out of my expanded memory.

Last edited:
I think FL=0 refers to FRAMELENGTH=x:

QRAM provides high RAM for use by LOADHI when
loaded after an EMS 4 or EEMS driver
Syntax:
DEVICE=QRAM.SYS [switches]
No switches means the RAM option
QRAM switches:
EXCLUDE=xxxx-yyyy Don't put RAM in the range
FORCEEMS Still act like EMS even if no frame
FRAMELENGTH=x Set the page frame to be x (0-4) pages
HIDE=xxxx-yyyy Hide that the range is mappable
INCLUDE=xxxx-yyyy Put RAM or fill in the range
NOFILL Don't fill conventional memory
NOSHADOWRAM Don't use C&T Shadow RAM
NOVIDEOFILL Don't fill into video memory
NOVIDEORAM Don't put RAM into video memory
NOXBDA Don't move the eXtended BIOS Data Area
NOXMS Don't be an extended memory manager
RAM[=xxxx-yyyy] Put RAM everywhere or in the range
REGION:n Load into region number n
VIDRAMEGA Configure for EGA feature of VIDRAM
VIDRAMEMS Configure for EMS feature of VIDRAM

I don't have the docs. I just have the read.me file from the disk. That's like the aftermarket support. :) If you want that I can send it. But I'm guessing you already have it.

The readme that I have is from v2.02 and doesn't seem to have as much info as yours, so please send it when you can.

I didn't get that info from the read.me file. :) I looked inside the qram.sys file for that stuff. Lots of older programs have that type of info nested inside. The read.me starts with... Normally the INSTALL procedure...

The read.me starts with... Normally the INSTALL procedure...
Mine starts with...
QRAM Version 2.0
Additional Information

So maybe yours still has some usefull info.

The reason this started is because QRAM's Optimize program doesn't seem to work correctly on my system. Possibly due to the fact that I'm running PC DOS 2000, which is much newer than QRAM and it seems that some of QRAM's features such as LOADHI are less efficient than PC DOS's DEVICEHIGH and LOADHIGH. So I'm trying to configure it manually to squeeze out every bit of hi memory.

I cheated... Mine really starts with...

QRAM Version 1
Additional Information

This file contains information which does not....

So you've got it and it's newer.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the relevant 4 pages from the V1 manual; too much to attach and too lazy to post elsewhere ;-)

PM me your email address and I'll send you the relevant 4 pages from the V1 manual; too much to attach and too lazy to post elsewhere ;-)
Thanks Mike, got your email. That's helpful info. Is there anything interesting or useful in the rest of the manual? I found that OPTIMIZE falsley identified mappable memory in the E region, but Checkit ID's regions E and F as "System ROM"
so I abandoned the changes that OPTIMIZE made. It also specified two regions, one being 990K or so. That can't be right, unless it's trying to map extended memory, but I don't know if extended mem can be used like UMB?

PS
system is a 286 with 4 meg on board. 640K base and 3360K extended, no shadow ram. 3 meg on memory board with 128K used as EMS and the rest as XMS. EMM.SYS maps pageframe at CC00-DFFF and QRAM uses that minus 16k as UMB. I think that's about as much as I can get for HI RAM, but if there's something I'm missing, I'd like to find out.

Thanks Mike, got your email. That's helpful info. Is there anything interesting or useful in the rest of the manual? I found that OPTIMIZE falsley identified mappable memory in the E region, but Checkit ID's regions E and F as "System ROM" so I abandoned the changes that OPTIMIZE made.
Well, it's 50+ pages and also covers the various other programs, e.g. QEXT.SYS, EMS2EXT.SYS, Loadhi & VIDRAM. Unfortunately the odd page size and my scanner s/w make it a real PITA to scan these or I'd gladly do the whole manual; of course who knows how relevant it is to V2.x...

Maybe someone will come up with a later version...

Have you run Manifest? I gather the E region is a bit tricky since some boards reserve it for ROM while others make it available for UMB use...

Back