• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DVI Monitor troubles, any advice?

RWallmow

Veteran Member
This is off topic from vintage stuff....

The problem is with my main PC with a Quadro FX4600 card, I am trying to get this old DVI medical gray-scale monitor to display its full resolution (of 1536x2048), but I have been unsuccessful so far. The EDID stream that the monitor sends windows indicates that its only capable of 1536x1024, and at that resolution I get a double stacked image (see attachment).
DSCN0796.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas how I could try to force this thing to its full resolution? Every time I attempt to force a custom resolution either through the nvidia control panel or power-strip the gray-scale monitor just goes blank, leaving only my main monitor.

My work was going to recycle this monitor, and my lead said I could take it home, and I thought it would be nice to code on since its so high resolution, and so crisp being gray-scale with uber-high contrast. Seems a waste to recycle what was a $10000 monitor 10 years ago, so I am hoping to get it working.

It is a Dual-link monitor, and I am using the proper dual-link cable, but despite the name, its still just a single DVI port, it just uses two data-links from one port.

Looking at my own link, and double checking my cable, I realized that I have a Dual-link DVI-D cable, and this needs a Dual-Link DVI-I cable per the manual for the monitor. Now off to monoprice for a dual-link DVI-I cable, hoping that's all the trouble here is.

Hope it works out, looks like a killer monitor to have.

That's what I thought, When doctors are reading CT/MRI/etc... images the calibration has to be spot on, and that's the only reason they were ditching these, they have fallen out of spec for calibration, and they are too old to warranty.

While they are not an ideal monitor for day-to-day stuff since they are NOT color, they do seem like they would be great for coding, or any text entry type tasks with the super high resolution, contrast, and PPI.

Well no change with the Dual link DVI-I cable vs plain DVI-D or Dual link DVI-D, all are the same, double image exactly like the photo in my first post :-/

I might have to give up on this one...It just doesn't want to be saved I guess.

Just curious, do you have any other OS you can try this with, such as Linux on a spare hard drive? I'm thinking it may be a problem with the Windows nVidia drivers. I've seen problems before where I couldn't get a 1440x900 display to work at anything higher than 1024x768 using the nVidia drivers for Windows for whatever reason.

Just curious, do you have any other OS you can try this with, such as Linux on a spare hard drive? I'm thinking it may be a problem with the Windows nVidia drivers. I've seen problems before where I couldn't get a 1440x900 display to work at anything higher than 1024x768 using the nVidia drivers for Windows for whatever reason.

My main drives are hot swappable, I could toss a spare sata drive in and load up linux or something. Heck even a live distro might be enough to test this theory.

I tried a linux live CD and still "double vision" like first post. I think I will give up on this monitor for now, other more important projects, its not like my current 21" @ 1600x1200 is crap, I was just hoping to cram a few more pixels in, lol.

Just don't toss the monitor, somebody else might want a crack at it with a different setup. What kind of system did it work on?

Just don't toss the monitor, somebody else might want a crack at it with a different setup. What kind of system did it work on?
Putting it in storage for now, I will try it some day on an ATI card to see if it acts differently. My work always ran them on custom dual head PCI cards from "image systems" (the monitor is made by WIDE, but branded as an "image systems"). I have no idea who actually made the chip-set on the custom card, but I am sure it was also some re-branded card, just like the monitor is re-branded.

Back