• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Firing up that old iron

Great stuff Terry,
It's always good to fire them up at least once a year.
I'm like you, I can't stand it when one of my machine dies or has a problem. Presently all my computers are functioning at the basic level. The problems I am having at present has mostly has to do with floppy drives. The System 80 drive (and/or expander box), as you know, is still dead and has been put to one side for the time being. The Ohio Scientific 4P-MF has a none functioning drive. I also have a OSI 2P-MF that is missing a it's floppy drive, so I am helping develop a modern drive interface and data splitter card for it (actually Dave from osiweb.org is doing all the hard work). This card should be useful for all C2, C4 and C8 users who want to use other drives that are not MPI drives in either 5.25" or 3.5". I have built up one of the prototype boards up but I can't seem to get it working correctly yet. Frustrating.

I think I'll make a list of all my stuff some time too as I keep loosing track of what I have.

Anyway, you know I'm envious of your hobby space. I wish I had as much room as you do.

Phil

I might be wrong, because it was a while ago that I fixed my One.Per.Desks, but there are 2 screws holding the front bezel on. remove these & the bezel will hinge up.
This is where I get a bit hazy, as I can't remember if there are other screws inside the bezel to release the back, or if it just slides off.
Be very careful to re-seat the self-tapping screws into their original threads in the plastic when you screw them back in again!

Thanks Nige,

Yes, I noticed (just in time) how careful you have to be not to cross-thread those screws. I can't get the back of the case to slide off. Something (something not obvious) seems to be holding it there.

I'll drag it out in a week or two and have another crack.

Tez

ok, fixed this. It was two little plastic (1) screws at the back holding the back plate on. They just needed greater force than I first gave them.

Blown AC line filter cap now replaced, the monitor reassembled and everything is working just fine.

The built in menu does allow you to select BASIC. Unfortunately it's not in ROM. It expects you to supply it on a wafer. While the wafers are (not unsurprisingly) the same shape and size as those for the Sinclair QL, I don't have ones with any Telecom Computerphone/ICl One-per-desk software. :(

Back