• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple //c RAM Problems

Alright, sounds good.

Thanks again. :)

My apologies, I was unable to find it anywhere, while I don't recall letting it go, since I don't have it anywhere, I must have. Hopefully dorkbert can hook you up.

Now off to check my salvage contacts, see if I can find me another //c for parts, lol.

Oh well. Thanks again for spending so much time to help me out!

WMH
I would still be willing to attempt a repair on your board if you wanted me to try. I just would not be able to send you another board if I was unable to repair it.

Well, I've sent dorkbert a private message.

Also, I'm a bit nervous about sending my board out for repairs. I know that I can probably trust you to send it back, but I'd rather hang on to it for a while.

Thank again for the offer, though.

Well, I've sent dorkbert a private message.

Also, I'm a bit nervous about sending my board out for repairs. I know that I can probably trust you to send it back, but I'd rather hang on to it for a while.

Thank again for the offer, though.
I understand, I have been burned on the net before too, and while you can't trust everybody, most of the long time members here are quite trustworthy. I can't think of anyone who's been on these forums for more than a year or two who I wouldn't trust for a trade/sale situation. Really a great bunch of nerds and geeks on this site :)

crap. all my boards are showing one or more failed RAM on self test. time to go get some 16 pin sockets and break out the soldering iron...
I should break out my personal //c, its not been booted in a few years now, when I play with my Apple II stuff its usually in my "built" IIgs. But I have some SIPP sockets and spare RAM on hand, so it should be easily repairable.

I broke out our old Apple IIc while I was at my parents for the holidays, and it's exhibiting the same behavior as WMH's did -- garbage characters, etc. I started the self-diagnostic test and it spun for a long time (>30 mins) without ever coming back with an answer about what exactly was wrong. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I decided to search online for solutions instead and found this forum and thread.

Given the high rate of failure seen in the responses in this thread, it would seem that I'm best off just getting all 16 RAM chips replaced somehow. However, I'm not an electronics or soldering guy at all, so I was hoping folks here could point me to someone who I could pay to do this for me. Any reputable Apple refurbishment experts you could recommend?

I broke out our old Apple IIc while I was at my parents for the holidays, and it's exhibiting the same behavior as WMH's did -- garbage characters, etc. I started the self-diagnostic test and it spun for a long time (>30 mins) without ever coming back with an answer about what exactly was wrong. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I decided to search online for solutions instead and found this forum and thread.

Given the high rate of failure seen in the responses in this thread, it would seem that I'm best off just getting all 16 RAM chips replaced somehow. However, I'm not an electronics or soldering guy at all, so I was hoping folks here could point me to someone who I could pay to do this for me. Any reputable Apple refurbishment experts you could recommend?

It looks like you are local to the area, I could probably help you out.

I have some RAM chips on hand that SHOULD be proper replacements, and it should be fairly easy to track down which is bad by "piggybacking" a known good chip on each existing chip till we track the bad one down. I am decent with a soldering iron, no pro, can't do SMT soldering work, but I have successfully pulled off similar repairs on my //e. Could teach you some vintage troubleshooting and soldering basics for your future projects too ;)

EDIT: If you can please post a picture of the garbage on the screen, it COULD be useful.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back