• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Free for collectors in St. Louis area: functional IBM PS/2 model 70

Fourthords

Thanks to the wonderful contributors here, I finally managed to get the data off of my old IBM PS/2 model 70. Now, I'd like to get it off my hands and into those somebody who can use it. I have the IBM PS/2 computer itself, original monitor (a little scorched), contemporary (original?) mouse, a bag of keycaps and cable for the original keyboard (which I no longer have, unfortunately), and the laplink cable I used to pull off all my data.

I'll be happy to show it to anybody in person should they wish to verify it running, but I plan to erase it before letting it go. Please forgive the photo attached; I was short on space for setting it up when I took it. I'd like to get rid of this soon and to somebody who'll get some use or enjoyment out of it. If you would like or need any more details or specifications, I'll to my best to answer any questions.

Thank you not only for your attention, but for the fantastic assistance this community was for me in the past.

- fourthords

Attachments

• IBM.jpg
    IBM.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1
After 38 hours with no takers, I gather there's nobody interested or close-by enough to get the computer. A follow-up then, if I may: what should I do with it then if I really don't just want to throw it away? It runs, it's mostly original, and there's got to be somewhere I can take it to be used and/or appreciated without just pitching it. Does anybody have any ideas?

- fourthords

Well it is warm out these days, so you should wait 30 days or so before thinking nobody wants it, people are enjoying the weather outdoors or are on vacation. Also an actual picture of the front so people can judge the condition would help (that small dark pic with the unit on its side doesn't help people much).

Do you have a full set or keycaps with that keyboard cord (Model M I assume)? If nobody wants that I would pay shipping for it (for my stack of PS/2 model M keyboards).

Ebay is another option.
Hopefully someone comes along to give it a new home. I'd love a PS/2 but am on the other side of the world (and I couldn't afford the postage even if that was an option).

Unfortunately I don't have 30 days; I'm moving overseas in early July and need to get rid of unnecessary things ASAP.

I don't know if they're a full set of keycaps or not, I never actually opened them up; I bought them at a yard sale eons ago when I had the matching Model M in case I needed them. If I can't find anybody locally, I'll let you know about the keycaps.

- fourthords

Well, I'm not opposed to the idea, but I assumed the cost would be too prohibitive for anybody to be interested. The whole setup's pretty bloody heavy (though I haven't weighed it). Was I wrong in this assumption?

- fourthords

Well, I'm not opposed to the idea, but I assumed the cost would be too prohibitive for anybody to be interested. The whole setup's pretty bloody heavy (though I haven't weighed it). Was I wrong in this assumption?

- fourthords

Well, I'll put it to you this way...have truck, will definitely consider travel. I was alerted to this thread by another forum member just minutes ago. If the computer needs a home and doesn't find one soon, I am an interested party who can give it a good home.

You can send me a private message if you like, and we can take it from there.

My Main interest would be the Model 70 and Keyboard. The Monitor can do wahtever you want with it. Model 70 from St Louis to FL by Parcel post maybe 30 -$35.00. So not to expensive. I have a Model 50z and there exactly the same dimensions. Had it shipped from south dakota for only 28.00. But if the other person uxwbill wants to drive and grap it all. Then I'll let him have 1st dibbs at it.

And one more thing. What are the specs on the Model 70? 16Mhz 20 Mhz? Amount of RAM? HD size? Or the "A" variant. Basically need part number 8570-???

Last edited:
Just an update to the thread...have truck, definitely DID travel to St. Louis to give this machine a new home. After a little trouble getting situated with parking, I collected the system from fourthords. We had a nice little conversation discussing everything from vintage computing to each others chosen usernames.

As it turns out, this was definitely a worthwhile trip to make. I kicked off my IBM PS/2 collection with an 8570-E61. It was "eaten" by a basement flood in 2004. The machine still worked, but the planar had taken enough damage that the CMOS RAM and RTC were no longer functional. It was stuck in an "amnesia loop". I wanted to find that exact machine again, and now I have. What's more, the system I just picked up was also upgraded to the 160MB DBA ESDI hard drive...an upgrade I did to my own.

It needs a little love and some slot covers. I've got it covered.

To the person who wanted the keycaps, I also rescued those. They are yours for the cost of postage if you are still interested. If you only want a few of them, I will gladly pull the ones you need and send them your way. Shoot me a private message.

If nobody wants that I would pay shipping for it (for my stack of PS/2 model M keyboards).
I got your private message just now. I will be happy to look up the shipping. You need to delete some PMs, as your mailbox is full. I cannot reply until you do. :)

Back