• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BBS list?

Maniak

Is there still a maintained list of Bulletin Board Services out there? I managed to dig up a couple modems for my Kaypro (acoustic coupler) and would like to do some experimenting by calling known working BBSs.

~Mark

Thanks. That exactly what I was looking for. I Knew there had to be one out there..

~Mark

Most of the lists, I later found, were defunct. There are two or three lists linked to on that page that are still current.

There are less than 100 functioning BBSes left, according to the lists. I'm surprised it's more than 10, to be honest.

The final goal is actually do use the line simulator I have here and dial out/in locally.

I wanted to test against a known working BBS to start with to eliminate some variables. I still have a couple old 9600 baud modems lying around here that I can use on my Current boxes to make sure the BBS is working before I try it with the Kaypro.

I already got the Kaypro into a terminal session via a null modem cable to one of my other boxes (Linux) so I've at least made 1 step forward..

~Mark

Why?
(just curious)

Same reason I have the Kayrpo machines.. Just because..

I'd like to see if I can get the Kaypro to Dial out, connect to another machine and get it somewhat on the 'net (Null modem/terminal session already works). Heck, I have a handset for the cell phone (Iphone) but I don't know if the cell phones can actually send the modem tones. If it can I'll try the acoustic coupler modem on the Iphone.

Of course, I've forgotten most of what I knew about the Kaypros since until recently (last year or so) I have't touched a Kaypro or any other CP/M machine since the early 90's when I used to repair the Kaypros and Early PC machines.

~Mark

I don't quite get where the line simulator fits in, but is this at all relevant:
http://www.jammingsignal.com/leif/bbs/

Ignore the C64 bias, and the "BBS Server" is misleading; it's basically both ends, a client that lets you connect to a Telnet BBS (or whatever) from petty well any RS-232 equipped computer, as well as the other end, a Telnet to 8-bit BBS bridge.

Read the manual to see if it's what you want.

I don't quite get where the line simulator fits in, but is this at all relevant:
http://www.jammingsignal.com/leif/bbs/

Ignore the C64 bias, and the "BBS Server" is misleading; it's basically both ends, a client that lets you connect to a Telnet BBS (or whatever) from petty well any RS-232 equipped computer, as well as the other end, a Telnet to 8-bit BBS bridge.

Read the manual to see if it's what you want.

Same idea but instead of connecting the kaypro via rs232 and a null modem cable I want the Kaypro to actually dial into a box to get its terminal session. So, it will use the acoustic coupler modem to call using a phone to another modem (typical late 90's external modem) which will be on the box that will serve the terminal session. The line simulator is just so I don't have to use 2 actual phone lines which is the same reason the person on the link you provided used RS232 and a null modem cable. I just happen to have a POTS simulator lying around.

~Mark

Sounds pretty straightforward; set the second modem to auto-answer (or install an actual BBS in a VM) and away you go. Is there a problem, or you just haven't gotten a round tuit yet?

Once you connect to the other computer, then what?

Sounds pretty straightforward; set the second modem to auto-answer (or install an actual BBS in a VM) and away you go. Is there a problem, or you just haven't gotten a round tuit yet?

Once you connect to the other computer, then what?

Just haven't gotten around to it. When I had it setup before (for rs-232 null modem cable) I connected the Kaypro to an Ubuntu VM running on my ESXI server. I am now running Mint as my 'nix flavor.

The modems (I have 2 acoustic coupler ones) I have are unknown condition so I wanted to test them against a BBS first.. once they are known good I'll switch to getting them to work locally. Once I have it working locally (onto the 'net via a modem) I'll find something else to experiment with. I wish I still had my RBBS floppies that I used to have in the mid 80's.

I took a pic when I had it on the 'net. Here it is running w3m as the browser looking at www.explorerforum.com

kaypro 005 by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

Edit: I almost forgot. The Kaypro (the one that is overclocked with Quad density floppies) is going to go into the big empty spot in my Rack.

Server / network rack as of 10-11-2011 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Back