• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Not sure what I have here

chloe

I hope someone can help. I came across my mother's old computer and can't find any markings as to a model number. I know it's from the mid 80's and it's an IBM and has a tag on the front as well as the keyboard CIS PC/XT Compuhardt International Systems.

Since it's in a generic case, could it be custom made? I vaguely remember her mentioning it was made just for her. It has a slot for a large 5" floppy but really nothing else other than the power button on the side of the unit.

Can someone give me some guidance as to what it is or is it worth anything to collectors. I am getting rid of several units but don't want to give it away if it's worth something. Thanks for the help!

Chloe

It's the one on the very top of the picture, sorry for the poor quality. 0628 010.jpg

That looks to be an XT clone, in a generic third party case as you described. Looks very similar to an ARC 8088 that Hitachi (forum member) is selling right now.

Have you had a look inside of it to see what components and/or model numbers of the things are inside of it? Things like those will help in determining a value of this computer.

Thanks Ian and Wow that was fast! I have not opened it. Would a picture of the inside help? I can post it tomorrow with model or component numbers I find. Please bare with me, I may own a dozen computers but that doesn't make me a computer wizard.

Chloe

Hehe, owning (too much) computers doesn't make me an expert either. But it's fun learning new things about these golden oldies.

Pictures of the insides will help. And any other information you can provide will help too.

0630 006.jpg0630 001.jpg0630 002.jpg0630 004.jpg0630 005.jpg

Got her open and to my surprise it was really clean. I hope I captured the important stuff.

chloe

The pictures aren't quite clear enough to identify chips so some of the following might be incorrect or the system might have some very rare component that I can't indentify. Much of this is based on what would typically be in late 80s Taiwanese clones.

Looks like the system should have 640KB of RAM (4 rows filled in but the pairs of rows have different types of RAM chips)
Cards are hard drive controller, floppy controller, and (probably) hercules (monochrome graphics) clone card with parallel port.
Drives are the ST-225 20MB and a probable 5.25" 360KB floppy.
If you also have the matching monitor, that could increase the value. Older monitors are difficult to get these days.

It has some value. Working drives and controllers would net you $50 if sold seperately but I would be surprised if the complete system sells for more than $100. Shipping being extra, of course, it might cost close to $100 to ship system and monitor. Taiwanese clones don't have the cachet of the IBM nameplate.

It's the one on the very top of the picture, sorry for the poor quality. View attachment 9501

It's amazing how the '80s XT-clone at the top, has a case design which is so much nicer and better looking than the three HP/Compaq PCs from the '90s at the bottom.

I would get rid of the three computers at the bottom, and keep the XT-clone.

Maybe I'll post it on CraigsList - not sure for how much. it has a generic 15" Samsung monitor, FT19 keyboard & KX-P1091i Panasonic printer.

There is a local ad on CL for old computers, not sure what the market is for the HP/Compaq's, I'm sure not much, I have keyboards and several parallel cables, power cords and what not's that can go as well. Any clue as to $$ for them?

The Compaqs won't go for much. Around where I am, similar systems tend to be given away. The thrift stores would list them for about $20 and not always sell them. Those are systems that are too slow to be useful, too new to be interesting to a collector, and far too often having strange parts that makes repairs very difficult. However, if one had one of the more exotic CPUs like Nexgen, someone will want it mainly because very few were made.

The CL ad is probably for a recycler who will strip out the few valuable parts and send the rest to be melted down. Try to see if anyone wants the XT-clone before contacting the recycler.

Keyboards and cables generally don't have value; thrift store pricing is $2 typically. Even the XT compatible keyboard which you have isn't worth as much as it should be. If you have an older IBM keyboard, expect a bidding frenzy. Another keyboard model that compels interest is the Omnikey recognizable for having function keys on both the top and the left side of the keyboard.

Last edited:
Thanks! Such a great knowledgeable and friendly group!! I truly appreciate everyone's help!

;) Chloe

Back