• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for Apple II Pal Encoder/Color Card

rveldhuizen

Hi there... I have got an Apple II Europlus (acquired it yesterday, the last one for my collection of computers I enjoyed in my childhood :) ) and I'm now looking for the Pal Encoder card (the slot 7 card) so that I can enjoy colors on the connected TV.

Does anyone know how/where I can acquire such a card?

Any help highly appreciated!

thanks,

Rik

Hi there... I have got an Apple II Europlus (acquired it yesterday, the last one for my collection of computers I enjoyed in my childhood :) ) and I'm now looking for the Pal Encoder card (the slot 7 card) so that I can enjoy colors on the connected TV.

Does anyone know how/where I can acquire such a card?

Any help highly appreciated!

thanks,

Rik

If you cant find one, another route you could go would be an RGB card, I know those hit the market every so often, those could be hooked up to an RGB monitor or possibly even a TV with RGB SCART capabilities (assuming its analog RGB, if its digital RGB, no SCART TV).

The original pal ones seem hard to find indeed... I'll keep my eyes open for an RGB card. Thx!

Here in Oz, PAL colour cards seem to be hard to find. To import one from eBay UK, the postage is around 85 pounds which seems a 'bit' high for a small box. I found one on german eBay but the seller did not want to sell internationally (fair enough I suppose).
To that end I'm attempting to build one for my Apple ][ Europlus using the circuit diagram from this page: http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/patrick/schematics.htm
It's mentioned this is a clone circuit but very close to the original, which it seems to be.
To build it up I recently bought a couple prototyping cards off US eBay, this one: www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-II-prototyping-card-perforated-expansion-board-w-voltage-rail-breadboard-/251670747296
These boards by seller bboc1709 are absolutely perfect, beautifully made and am pleased I bought two instead of just one. Highly recommended. He also has a shorter green proto card without the rails available, but I thought I'd need the extra space for my hackish build so I got the red one with voltage rails.
I've ordered the TCA 650 PAL/secam demodulator chip from Europe and am waiting for that to arrive. Got two in case I stuff one up.
In the meantime while I wait, I've been typing up the manifest list of components, I think I'll rummage through my collection of electronic components before I visit the local electronics store (Jaycar for me) and see if I can recycle any of the basic bits, but I still need to find the TTL.
I saved a few photos of the genuine Apple II PAL encoder card from eBay listings that will be a useful guide for the component layout.
That's as far as I've progressed with this project.

Steve.

Last edited:
Back