• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II Printers

Interesting, I'll have to check Radio Shack and that website. What about a IIc printer cable? I think that's what DOS Lives On is talking about; do those have an RS-232 end?

It depends on what port is on your printer, is it a DB25 or DB9 RS232? The cable he talks of would work if the printer has a DB25, but would need an adapter to adapt to the printers DB9, if that's what the printer has... It all really depends on what you have to work with.

The common "printer" cables that sold in the day of the //c were the "imagewriter" cable (DIN to DB25) and the "imagewriter II" cable (DIN to 'mac style' mini-DIN), unless your printer has a DB25, neither of these cables would work without adapters. Lots of other cables of the day were custom made for the application (not as many cheap Chinese importers like today). It's easy to find the pinout of the //c and probably the LJ2, wouldn't be hard to make a custom cable.

Personally I am an instant gratification type, I would rather buy the parts at radio shack and build it tonight, than have to wait for one to ship from somewhere (probably China).

The Laserjet Series II talks PCL4 natively. You will be able to print text with basic formatting, you just have to feed the software the correct command codes. As for graphics, you are limited to what the application supports. I think Publish-IT! supports PCL for instance. 3rd parties may have made Epson FX emulation cartridges for the II. HP made an emulation cartridge, but it was only for the later IID, IIP, and III series. They are also likely hard to find these days.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if emulation was native, or installed after the fact.

It depends on what port is on your printer, is it a DB25 or DB9 RS232? The cable he talks of would work if the printer has a DB25, but would need an adapter to adapt to the printers DB9, if that's what the printer has... It all really depends on what you have to work with.

The common "printer" cables that sold in the day of the //c were the "imagewriter" cable (DIN to DB25) and the "imagewriter II" cable (DIN to 'mac style' mini-DIN), unless your printer has a DB25, neither of these cables would work without adapters. Lots of other cables of the day were custom made for the application (not as many cheap Chinese importers like today). It's easy to find the pinout of the //c and probably the LJ2, wouldn't be hard to make a custom cable.

Personally I am an instant gratification type, I would rather buy the parts at radio shack and build it tonight, than have to wait for one to ship from somewhere (probably China).

It seems to have 25 pins, I'm assuming that's DB25?

Yes, most likely. Now whether or not its male or female and would match up to an "imagewriter" cable, I don't know (I forget if the IW cable end is male or female, I never had a IW printer, only the IW2), but gender changers are cheap and easy to find.

Back