• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Computer Magazines (1994-1997)

geckop

Hello,

I'm looking for anyone having old computer magazines from 1994-1997 (PC World, PC Magazine, ...) and who could send me scans of some pages.

I want to know what the press said about a computer brand.

I will immensely appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Please let me know if I can do anything in return.

Google has online copies of many PC Magazine issues. Right now, I opened 4 different issues with comparison reviews of Packard Bell systems.

Dec 20, 1994 page 197 (486DX2/66 Editor's Choice with TV card)
May 16, 1995 page 411 (Pentium 75)
April 23, 1996 page 322 (Pentium 133)
Feb 4, 1997 page 134 (Pentium MMX)

Lots of other issues show up as having articles on Packard Bell systems but I am not looking through them.

Makes me sad that my complete collection of Windows NT magazine 1996-2000 went to the landfill.

Google has online copies of many PC Magazine issues. Right now, I opened 4 different issues with comparison reviews of Packard Bell systems.

Dec 20, 1994 page 197 (486DX2/66 Editor's Choice with TV card)
May 16, 1995 page 411 (Pentium 75)
April 23, 1996 page 322 (Pentium 133)
Feb 4, 1997 page 134 (Pentium MMX)

Lots of other issues show up as having articles on Packard Bell systems but I am not looking through them.

I already read those articles and I'm looking for other similar ones..

Geckop,

The folks here are trying to be helpful, but you have been quite terse in your request and even more so in your responses. There is a wealth of information and support available here, even in the most esoteric categories. Please consider taking some time to explain what you are trying to do and what information you hope to obtain. Otherwise, the folks here are shooting in the dark.

Respectfully,
smp

Geckop,

The folks here are trying to be helpful, but you have been quite terse in your request and even more so in your responses. There is a wealth of information and support available here, even in the most esoteric categories. Please consider taking some time to explain what you are trying to do and what information you hope to obtain. Otherwise, the folks here are shooting in the dark.

Respectfully,
smp
I'm looking for reviews of Packard Bell computers (Legend, Force, Platinum, Spectria, Corner series), from 386 to Pentium and, of course, the preinstalled softwares like Navigator..

I'm mainly interested in models sold between 1994 and 1998 in the USA.

I'm trying to gather a large amount of information about them for a future project. I can't say more for now.

I looked on Google Books and actually found some interesting articles..

PC World (Dixons / Currys group) sold them in the UK and Ireland. Not sure if it was a monopoly.

I might have a mid 90s PC World brochure I could scan in, if it is any use. Would give spec, software, pricing and picture.

I recall when the mid 90s Multimedia PC craze came along in the mid 90s, they seemed to be the default brand for my school friends.
They booted into the Navigator shell which wasn't on the market for long, seemed to be designed to make Win3.1 more user friendly, I saw it on a Win95 Pentium but MS must have decided that they want people to use the Win95 'Start' UI, or that it was a competitor to 'Bob'.
More info on Navigator here:
1.1 - http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav.html
3.5 - http://toastytech.com/guis/pbnav35.html

Form factors, they seemed to be mostly light grey coloured slimline desktop units. One of their more interesting variants was a corner shaped unit, back in the days when a lot of users used the computer to the side of the keyboard. (Possibly due to the bulk of the CRT).
Latter units were towers.
They had a large plant in Livingston, Scotland. This was renamed NEC when it was taken over, last time I passed it was closed.

Back