• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's a good sound card?

Billyray

Experienced Member
I want to put it in a Windows 98SE machine which is a Pentium III @ 450MHz. It would be a PCI card. Currently I stole the Soundblaster 16 card that was in the Gateway 2000, but I'd like to put it back in the Gateway if I can find a really good sound card for the PIII machine. I have the Winfast A250 Ultra display card in there, and I'd like a good quality sound card too. It would be for gaming. Thanks! :D

I have a Yamaha DX-XG card in a Windows 98 computer, and I love it. Try that one. It is PCI, and there are drivers readily available for it.

Two of the best PCI sound cards of the Win98 era were the Sound Blaster Live and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, both of which had excellent audio quality and broad games compatibility, and both of which can be had for about $5 apiece on eBay. At that price, you could try them both and decide for yourself which one best suited your needs, but you can't go wrong with either. Here is a review that compares the two.

Aureal PCI cards would be my pick, first real 3D positioning card used by many games of the late 90's.

pci sound card wise i always preferred the ensoniq 1371 also known as the sound blaster pci 128 they be fairly easy to find have good compatibility with dos its emulation of sound blaster pro is good enough for majority of game and in windows never heard the higher end game that require directX 9 complain of the sound card

Mine is the SoundBlaster too. Mainly because I have an early disk that works with it, and provides a mixer and recorder, among other things, but I've always liked having the recorder. You can record live from the mic, or "what you hear", etc. Every computer I set up for myself, that is always one of the crowning touches :)

I too would go with an Aureal Vortex 2 chip sound card. It supports A3d 2 which is said to be superior to that of SB live's EAX. A Diamond Monster MX300 is an excellent choice for this PC.

Back