• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 mouse interface for ISA bus

The only thing I've found that would work is some $50.00 adapter that is a little black box that requires an AC Adapter.
What is the brand and model of this little black box?

If I had the skill level at electronics to do it by now, I would have myself...
Even those with the electronics skills will need to crack their head, order parts, order more parts, do reasearch, program, and once you think things are going well you find out the prototype won't work because you overlooked something trivial; back to ordering more parts, cratching your head while you stare in amazment at the seemingly impossible results on the oscilliscope... Not all designs go like this, but my at-home designs tend to because I get so distractated with many other things going on. There is nothing like a crying baby every 30 minutes to screw up work like this. Thankfully, the designs all worked out fine in the end! If anyone is interested in design colaboration, I'd be interested in about 10 years time. I wonder how many funds we could get with a kickstarter project? Seems a lot of retro computer users would greatly benefit from this.

You know belkin makes a KVM that lets you use a PS/2 mouse with AT serial mouse computers (Omniview SE series). The console mouse is anything PS/2 while the computer side has serial cables. This way you can mix PS/2 and serial mice machines and use one ps/2 mouse to control them all. Its a cool way to have a Microsoft USB/PS/2 optical mouse on a 486, and those KVM should be cheap on ebay.
If you are refering to the Belkin Omni View SE, I have one which I sourced just for this idea, but was unable to get its PS/2-to-serial conversion to work. Has anyone else had better luck with this, and if so, could you post a video of it in action?

There is also a 4-port edition of this unit, but I didn't see the point because it doesn't do audio switching. I only wanted it for use as a stand-alone PS/2-to-serial converter.

My idea was to emulate a serial mouse on a host PC over a null modem cable to the vintage PC.
I started but got distracted since I CBA to learn all that fun stuff related to win32 serial comms.

o_O

If you're going to employ a MCU to do the conversion, why not one with a USB OTG port and emulate either PS/2 or serial mice using a HID mouse? A couple flavors of PIC24 and all PIC32s have OTG and come in DIP-28s.

It seems that all of the PS/2 to serial protocol converters on the markets have issues with resolution and/or lag. The Vetra that Feipoa mentioned, and also one from Raritan called "APSSM". I was wondering if the bus mouse interface might be more suitable than the serial interface. Old MS bus mouse cards are cheap and plentiful. Anyone know of a PS/2 to bus mouse converter (other than the Microsoft unit I mentioned)? I still haven't gotten a chance to get mine out of storage.

At this point I'm really beginning to think an ISA card with a USB mouse port is the way to go.

Last edited:
Back