• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Archive.org hosting large amounts of data via torrent

barythrin

Veteran Member
I haven't looked around yet but quite interesting article Over 1000000 torrents available via archive.org. Perhaps some folks here can reference any that might be of interest here? I think it'd be awesome if we could end up easily archiving some of these things. Don't want to get my hopes up yet but I'd cross my fingers that perhaps I could finally have an offline copy/backup of Computer Chronicles, or some old tech magazines in my personal archive.

It's quite a nice thing that Archive.org is offering this. I downloaded most of the Computer Chronicles series a while back, but that was with the manual downloading from every video link. Now it can be done in a much more streamlined way. Are they offering the stuff on the Wayback Machine too or just media collections and files?

I did not know they archived old radio broadcasts. That adds to the great things available on that site.

Yeah, I forgot they had them offered for download separately. Checking it out it doesn't seem to be any more convenient. It's still by the episode, just a separate option to download the archive via torrent. The bad part is this torrent includes ALL the video quality versions so I end up having to deselect all but whatever one I really want. Uncompressed mpg is 1GB for a 24 minute show which isn't quite my style unless I really want to re-compress all their shows myself, or they usually have a 200MBish mp4 of varying quality/resolution.

Still on the bright side I guess it's legal for anyone to host this stuff then? I'm sure someone has or can now archive all of a certain show or magazine and offer it without draining their bandwidth.

What *IS* interesting is at least in the computer chronicles area are the top downloaded episodes. Commodore 64 is the top download right now, but quite a few interesting episodes stand out. I just watched the Commodore and Atari latest news episode from 85 and grabbed a few more Commodore and Comdex wrap ups. Should be fun.

To answer a little of your question although you probably already found out, I don't see any wayback machine torrents like html, etc. It DOES have downloads for audio though so some old radio shows are probably available via torrent. Interestingly I see digibarn is archived (Hey I see a few members with videos!!), there's a Vectrex section too?! and also of interest here are interviews from the Get Lamp documentary although they aren't available via torrent so I guess that's an OT find.

Ok I guess it's only somewhat cool news then since it seems like a lot of stuff I'll still have to download via their server heh.

Last edited:
The news here is not new files available. They were already there. The news is that they are using BitTorrent, and why they are doing that. Not only is BitTorrent the fastest method of sharing files with many people, but is can also be a distributed preservation system.

That the Internet Archive is doing this, particularly on such a scale, also has political implications in this environment of "torrent=piracy" mentality.

Back