• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm ps1

i need help with my ibm ps1 consultant from 1992 everytime i boot it up theres a keyboard error and when i plug in a ps2 mouse the keyboard appears to not work and in the bios it says mouse not installed and also the cdrom device driver does not work everytime it boots up it detects the driver and then it says oak cdrom then no drives found aborting installation and im bretty sure the cdrom works.:(

Have you tried a different mouse? I have an Acer 486 that wont even startup properly if you plug in the a wrong or faulty mouse.
Was the CDROM a fresh install, or did it used to work in that machine and then failed?

Do the settings in the BIOS setup revert back to the old settings every time you start the computer? You may need to replace the CMOS battery. Does your PS/1 have a Dallas RTC or another type of clock battery?

Im going on just a faint idea. Would the keyboard need to be specifically from a PS/1 machine? I did notice a few systems that only allowed keyboards from their maker such as the Commodore PC 10 ( NEver found one to work with that until i got one from it)

Do the settings in the BIOS setup revert back to the old settings every time you start the computer? You may need to replace the CMOS battery. Does your PS/1 have a Dallas RTC or another type of clock battery?
it did used to sometimes have a configuration error everytime it booted up and it doesent keep the date and time only when i set and then when i go to the bios 10 days later, its still the same date and time i set it 10 days ago:???:

Im going on just a faint idea. Would the keyboard need to be specifically from a PS/1 machine? I did notice a few systems that only allowed keyboards from their maker such as the Commodore PC 10 ( NEver found one to work with that until i got one from it)

Normal PS2 mouse + keyboard will be fine.
PC-10 uses an XT standard keyboard from memory? I use the PC-10 keyboard for testing IBM PC and XT machines (but not 286 or higher which need the normal AT standard).

But anyway. OP try a different mouse and keyboard and see if anything changes, also testing the CDROM in another machine might be worth while and checking the cabling.

I know some early IBM machines were VERY picky about the type of PS/2 mice attached to them, they would toss the BIOS "pointing device error" (forget the number) unless it was a true blue IBM branded mouse attached, toss on a newer PS/2 scroll or generic PS2 mouse, or no PS/2 mouse and they would usually give this error.

They might be just as picky on PS/2 keyboards, not sure, we always had scores of extra IBM keyboards on hand, so I cant speak to those.

I have worked with IBMs up into the Pentium II era that acted like this with mice (though on later P2 machines you could disable the pointing device error in the BIOS, and hook up a USB mouse), I am not sure their logic behind this, if they tried to lock you into buying only IBM approved mice or something.

I know some early IBM machines were VERY picky about the type of PS/2 mice attached to them, they would toss the BIOS "pointing device error" (forget the number) unless it was a true blue IBM branded mouse attached, toss on a newer PS/2 scroll or generic PS2 mouse, or no PS/2 mouse and they would usually give this error.

They might be just as picky on PS/2 keyboards, not sure, we always had scores of extra IBM keyboards on hand, so I cant speak to those.

I have worked with IBMs up into the Pentium II era that acted like this with mice (though on later P2 machines you could disable the pointing device error in the BIOS, and hook up a USB mouse), I am not sure their logic behind this, if they tried to lock you into buying only IBM approved mice or something.

Also when i plugged in the orignal ibm mouse that came with it does this and the bios appears to hang. IM REALLY CONFUSED AND I REALLY DONT WANT TO get rid of this computer but when i dont plug it in it the computer startup up properly and loads windows 3.11 startup properly:( this is what it does:

_

The 303 error code means that there is a keyboard and/or a system board interface error. Or that there's a keyboard controller error.

and i tried a keyboard that used to work and i didnt work for some reason and im REALLy confused and i dont know what to do!!PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!! and what is a system board interface error? i started having problems when i plugged in a faulty mouse

...and what is a system board interface error?
Likely the keyboard/mouse controller chip on the motherboard.

I do not specifically know the PS/1 series motherboards, I am not sure if its a socketed/removable chip or not, someone with some PS/1 knowledge care to shed some light on this one?

First it would be great to know the exact PS/1 model (there were some "IBM PS/1 consultant"), but I'm sure that your unit should work with any standard PS/2 keyboard / mouse unless the keyboard controller is faulty.

First it would be great to know the exact PS/1 model (there were some "IBM PS/1 consultant"), but I'm sure that your unit should work with any standard PS/2 keyboard / mouse unless the keyboard controller is faulty.
its a ibm ps1 model 2155 g44 from 1992 and my Dad got it as a christmas present in 1992

Wow,its been awhile since i've been on here. I have been reading up about it,and it still does have the errors. I did read the very informative thread about the system on here and i think i will try to give it a try and see what happens...anyway,the really weird thing is,the only keyboard that works on there is a Old Black Dell Keyboard,and nothing else..anyway,it is a pretty nice system,and i have been trying to fix it up

Back