• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone actually try/experience a "Commodore USA" 64x or other?

Why would they use Keyrah, when the keyboard is brand new manufactured and only designed to look like a C64 keyboard? For what it is worth, the keyboard interiors don't have to be more advanced than just about any other USB keyboard. If you look closely, they have even added extra keys/rows so it isn't a 100% copy of the Commodore keyboard.

I'll post pictures inside and out (empty initially, I'll update with build details) when I get it.

The bumpf suggests about the keyboard:

"The new Commodore 64 features genuine Cherry brand key switches, which provide a feel much better than the original, with a lovely IBM classic mechanism and click sound."

Hoping its a nice keyboard, last good PC keyboard I had was a clattery old thing on a 486. The Mac Plus has a great keyboard too. Modern keyboards are don't have the same feel, though they are quieter for an office environment!

The keyboard isn't an exact replica of a C64, but it does have the CTRL and ALT keys where you would expect them. I remember my C64 had weird key combinations to get characters like right angled pipes etc. - useful for ascii art!

I've also seen a joystick much like the old C64 ones, would be a nice addition - http://www.zombienexus.com/forums/c...8&page=1&sid=7cdc4f2d5810c1007af224da06f0ee7d

I'm glad I didn't order the full fat $1295 machine, as I have heard not a squeak since. No communication on shipping or potential delays. "AVAILABLE TO SHIP: 1 - 2 Days" it says on their page. What a joke.

Kinda wish I had went through Amazon now instead of direct to Commodore, as then there is usually communication emails as the order progresses, and if worst comes to the worst you can get your money back from Amazon.

It's been since March that this thread started! I'd be quite a bit upset. You paid a lot for that case, I'd want it fast just like the website says. Even slow-boat orders haven't taken me this long to get them when I order from China or Korea. Another phone call and some more communication seem to be in order.

This thread got me to looking around for surplus parts in China, and so far nothing. That part is kind of difficult to believe, as everything has a surplus there, it seems. I'll keep looking, they've got to be either surplus or cloned somewhere, maybe under a different name.

I chased them up about it.

Got sent a reply, as intricate and professional in their responses as ever -

"Commodore Sales sales@commodore.net
23:56 (9 hours ago)
to me

SHIPPING AUG 22, 2012"

However I later did get an automated email "This automated e-mail serves as confirmation that your order has been shipped."

And a USPS "Click-N-Ship® shipping notification" for Priority Mail International

Interestingly the shipping party on that notification is listed as an individual at Commodore, rather than the company itself.

At least now I have a means of tracking it, and it should get to customs here where I pay my pound of flesh to the government to waste on bailing out their banking mates.

So lets see what occurs.

It arrived. Or, rather, I chased up Royal Mail's Farcelfarce depot and duly paid the tories their slice.
As I mentioned earlier, if I hadn't chased it up and got the 1 line response, would I still be waiting on it getting posted?

First impression, the box is professional looking, though it lists Ubuntu on the back rather than their own Commodore OS linux distro.
Opening up, the barebones case is resting on the polystyrene on each end, rather than bagged as you would expect a new piece of equipment.

The C64x case itself looks very professionally made, very nice piece of kit. The keyboard has a fantastic action that modern PC keyboards just don't have.

SD card slots are present on one end. Was half thinking that they would bundle a DVD of the Commodore OS, but this can be downloaded, so no biggie.

I'll upload pictures later this weekend.

I now need to find a MiniITX board with an on-board power supply, there are no other slots for power. There is a small fan outlet though.

TLDR: Very nice case, good packaging, Commodore's customer service with their one-line responses is lacking though.

As it arrived, boxed:

SDC11396.jpg

Nice box, though lists Ubuntu and not CommodoreOS Vision:

SDC11397.jpg

Cracking keyboard:

SDC11393.jpg

SD card slots:

SDC11394.jpg

As this is barebones, I can fit my own MiniITX board (with onboard power) and slimline DVD/Bluray drive.

SDC11395.jpg

How it was internally packed:

SDC11398.jpg

C64x with C64DTV. Could make an interesting project...

SDC11399.jpg

Much nicer looking end-product than I would have supposed. I'll be curious to hear about noise and internal temperatures, if you want to post that information.

Nice photography, BTW. Very clear, and good lighting. I'd love to see the insides, if you have time.

Thanks!
- Alex

Maybe I'm not in the loop anymore but I thought barebones usually implied case+power+motherboard these days? This was how much for just the case and a power supply?

It certainly does look nice. So you're looking for a board that has power on-board?? I would be very wary of a board like that; if I was doing it I would want at least an external power unit. Just me, though.

I bet you could find one with a video input that has composite-in so you can use the DTV, that part made me very interested! Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get built :)

Thanks all for your comments.

Much nicer looking end-product than I would have supposed. I'll be curious to hear about noise and internal temperatures, if you want to post that information.

Nice photography, BTW. Very clear, and good lighting. I'd love to see the insides, if you have time.

Thanks!
- Alex

As such it doesn't have a board, I am unlikely to progress further on this until the new year, due to work commitments / the impending christmas spending season.

In terms of temperatures, the case is vented just above the keyboard as per the old C64, there is a round circular fan built in that you should be able to see on the back.

I think I need to look at slimline heatsinks/fans, ideally as silent as possible.

Photography was just an old bog standard Samsung compact, new computer room is well lit seems to face the sun most of the day (we grow vegetables on that side of the house!)

I'll get photos of the insides at some point, briefly had it open to inspect and remove a piece of paper that detailed the connectors.

The keyboard is a PCB with switches soldered on with a USB header.

The SD card slots are another USB header.

The fan is the usual fan connection.

Is the case shielded at all ?
patscc

I don't think there is shielding. Wasn't much of a consideration initially. Would a metal plate at the base of the motherboard suffice?
IIRC it has FCC markings though, are these a US standard similar to CE?

Maybe I'm not in the loop anymore but I thought barebones usually implied case+power+motherboard these days? This was how much for just the case and a power supply?

Barebones in this case means C64x case including keyboard and SD card slots.

It certainly does look nice. So you're looking for a board that has power on-board?? I would be very wary of a board like that; if I was doing it I would want at least an external power unit. Just me, though.

I bet you could find one with a video input that has composite-in so you can use the DTV, that part made me very interested! Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing what you get built :)

Looking for a board with power as there is no other power output / PSU slot. I don't really want to start drilling holes in it. There are some Intel boards which do this, and the pre-built C64x Extreme has this. No different to a laptop motherboard, has a similar power brick.

Once had an RF USB TV card, though I sold it as the computer I was on was XP and it's drivers weren't compatible. This region is going Digital too, soon. A composite in one for the DTV and using that as an original joystick would be a nice end to end functional C64 ;)
Though I was hoping to use the emulator too, possibly that old-school USB joystick from a couple of pages ago, or a joypad that can be used to move the mouse pointer for living room TV PC-ing.

Still need to build this.

Thus far I've obtained a slim bluray drive and an external HDD (that I'd originally hoped to install in a broken datacorder case) for media, but precious little else.

Need a slim MiniITX board with an i7 processor, internal Wifi antenna and onboard PSU. Proving difficult to source.

Back