• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Beware of apps offered by both presidential campaigns...

Ha, I had to cancel out of the AT&T Maps app on my blackberry while on vacation without seeing it. One AT&T took away the free map program included on Windows Mobile and told the vendors to block that and only allow AT&Ts (at the time and I couldn't find the verbiage in the EULA this time not free). Anyway the only interesting feature of the newer blackberry is asking what rights to allow an application instead of just allowing it access to all your resources. It wanted access to data/internet (obviously it can upload data from my device and can cause data charges but I know that and that's fine), access to my gps (sure, privacy or not it can locate where I am and that's fine with me), it wanted access to my address book and contacts... ...uh.. no. I deselected the ability to access my contacts and it wouldn't let me past the first screen to use the app. Apparently if they can't harvest the names and phone numbers, etc then they have no interest in letting me find my way around a map.

Politics knows no limits, it seems. I don't like it when invaluable applications have such limitations with them. They think they can have absolute access to every corner of your personal information. But some people (and in this case, political commitees) will find any available ways to advertise how their guy is better.

Sort of a tangent but it also chaps my hide with the "Do Not Call Registry" having all these exemptions. I always ask myself when getting a wardialed (which I thought we had separate laws against) political ad or spam from some non-profit why we bother.

because it's those bottom-feeding lowlifes are the only ones willing to run for office, because all that's in office are usually bottom-feeding lowlifes. So the working schmoe like you and me to get in to office, is usually unheard of.

why is it that in each and every single elections, all we get to choose from are this kind of bottom-feeding lowlifes?

Please guys/gals, keep it clean. Politics is generally off topic here because people don't know when to draw a line and stop ranting.

Of course, the only sensible thing to do is to grab an app from each side, analyze it's communications stream, and then cross them. Sort of the plumbing scene in Brazil meets Dr. Who, if you know what I mean.
patscc

Sorry, I'm from a parallel universe. But can someone explain why I'd go to a hairdresser to buy brake shoes, or a political party to get software? I'm lost. :(

It's probably something to do with marketing people spec'ing out hardware and software, instead of engineers.
Besides, don't discourage the political parties. Isn't it great they're putting out an actual product ? And who are we to criticize if there are a few bugs ?
patscc

Back