• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II range

ChrisCwmbran

Experienced Member
Do the Apple IIe and the Apple IIe Platinum use the same PSU as an Apple II Plus/Europlus?

My IIe and IIe Platium are US models, and I dont think they have switchable PSUs to allow me to use them in the UK. Im just wondering if they are compatible, whether whilst my II Europlus's power supply is out, I should test the other machines....

Thanks in advance.

Do the Apple IIe and the Apple IIe Platinum use the same PSU as an Apple II Plus/Europlus?

My IIe and IIe Platium are US models, and I dont think they have switchable PSUs to allow me to use them in the UK. Im just wondering if they are compatible, whether whilst my II Europlus's power supply is out, I should test the other machines....

Thanks in advance.

I am like 95% sure the pinout is the same (maybe check with multimeter, or wait for someone who's 100% sure to chime in), but I want to say the //e had slightly higher wattage PSU to support higher power draw of expansion peripherals and multiple disk drives, but a ][ one should work in a pinch on a //e for bench testing as long as you don't load the machine down with too many peripherals.

Dissapointing test.

Apple II Platinum output:

IMG_20120831_180124.jpg

And the Apple IIe:

IMG_20120831_180716.jpg

Ignore the odd orientation of the monitors. Both these outputs are the machine in question with no expansion cards, and fired up using the Apple II Europlus PSU.

I really did hope at least one would be fine!

Probably some ram chips are gone bad, maybe you can swap from one to another to test.

Probably some ram chips are gone bad, maybe you can swap from one to another to test.

The one displaying text garbage I would bet on RAM, the other one, I have never seen one stuck in graphics like that, could be RAM, but I would not bet on that one ;-)

The power supplies in ][s, ][+s, and //es, including platinum, are all compatible as far as i know. Some ¦¦gs supplies are even compatible but not many.

Back