• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

wang 4230 what is it?

generic486

Experienced Member
So I bought for $17 a Wang 4230-whateveritis from the same guy I bought my Tandy SL. I bought it mostly because it looked cool
here's a pic of one-not mine but exactly the same.
http://www.recycledgoods.com/zoom_s_p_11654_1.jpg.ashx
It's not a PC as I can't see any ports to plug in disk drives. Only ports are IEC power connector, a 4pin DIN keyboard, 5pin + connector and a 8pin connector with a symbol which resembles a monitor. I suspect the latter two ports are for monitor. There is also two data link connectors.
I took the top of and it has a massive PSU and a single board with a Mostek Z-80 and loads of other socketed IC's. Must run CP/M or similar.
So could somebody explain to me what this is and what I could run on it?
Also tracking down a compatible keyboard and monitor would be hard.

That explains it. So the two data link connectors are for a ring network communication to the server. Now, i know virtually nothing about mini's and mainframe or terminals but would I be right to assume it is like a VT100 without the 8080 and a z-80 instead? So if this machine still works and I get a monitor and keyboard, it's just going to give me a prompt. The monitor uses a 8 pin DIN plug like most RGB monitors, could I use a RGB monitor from a BBC micro?

I'm pretty sure the monitor would have been monochrome (but not certain), and am drawing a blank on the pinout. My concern would be power to the monitor being routed through the connector.
patscc

Back