• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC/XT Motherboard/RAM Issues - Please HELP!

I not altered the system in any way yet but it now counts to 256k of RAM! This whole problem is very mysterious to me.
Clearly, the probmlem still exists. You earlier wrote, "I'll switch my RAM around later today". Your latest post does not indicate whether or not you tried that. Please clarify.

What is the RAM configuration of your machine?

The RAM configuration of my 5160 is a full 640k. I never got around to switching my RAM, I've been busy lately.

The RAM configuration of my 5160 is a full 640k.
So that could be either:
1. 256KB type 5160 motherboard (4 banks of 64Kbit chips) plus 384 KB on expansion cards; or
2. 640KB type 5160 motherboard: banks 0/1 = 64Kbit chips, banks 2/3 = 256Kbit chips

I never got around to switching my RAM, I've been busy lately.
Obviously, if you have the 640K type of 5160 motherboard, you'll only be able to swap chips into bank 2 from bank 3.
But as others have suggested, I think that simply reseating the chips is the first step.

It is the 640k type 5160 motherboard. I will reseat the chips today and hope that it fixes my problem.

It is the 640k type 5160 motherboard. I will reseat the chips today and hope that it fixes my problem.

Even just pushing them a little might do it. Every time I've had errors with chip memory (that didn't need replacement that is), a firm press on each chip fixed the problem.
Have the same issue with one of my 5160 machines at the moment. I haven't got off my butt to look yet, but I'm 80% sure there is probably a 41256 chip that just needs a push.

Success!

Success!

Okay, I finally got around to reseating my RAM chips today, and it did the trick. I got my 640k back! :D

Back