• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Miniscribe M8425 formatted as a RLL using ST11R controller

lucasdaytona

Veteran Member
Hello!

A local friend is offering me a working Miniscribe M8425 MFM hard drive for a good price ($25), but I only have a seagate ST11R controller with me. This site says that this M8425 will work as a RLL drive, but I want to hear this from you guys, and I also don't know if my controller will see this drive. The guy also have the controller that came with the drive, but he is asking way too much for the controller ($50). What do I do?

I would pass. Like the website says, the '25's are drives that didn't make it, quality-wise, as RLL drives, so I would think running them as RLL is just asking for trouble. A long time ago, when this stuff was still new, I tried running new MFM's on a RLL controller, but had reliability issues. And this was back then, not decades later with old hardware.
patscc

I've had the exact opposite experience. Any and all mfm drives that I tried rll'd just fine. There may have been one or two more bad blocks, but that's nothing to worry about for these types of drives...

Hi All;
Lucas, you should buy the drive and then put it here for sale or for trade.. I would think, someone from this forum would be interested in it, I would..
THANK YOU Marty

Marty, I have a Seagate ST-225 which is basically the same drive only from a different manufacturer if that's of interest to you.

I also have a Seagate ST-238R which is a 33 mb RLL drive. I was just running it yesterday and it is so quiet I couldn't even tell if it was running other than it booted my XT. :) I also have a WD1002A-27X 8-bit RLL controller that I use with that drive in case you'd be interested in that type of setup.

Hi All;
Stone, I was just thinking that this way the Drive wouldn't get thrown away.. It could go to a good Home.. With someone who would want it..
THANK YOU Marty

If anyone wants this drive, just tell me, I can grab it and ship to you, no extra costs!

I don't want this drive anymore, just got my precious and beautiful RLL drive yesterday!

Back