• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Please explain "multisync monitor" to me.

generic486

Experienced Member
I don't think the wiki page was very clear. Could someone please explain in simpleton terms what a multisync monitor is? Can I use it with all colour display types e.g EGA CGA VGA.

I don't think the wiki page was very clear. Could someone please explain in simpleton terms what a multisync monitor is?
The first I heard of "multisync" was when NEC released their MultiSync line of monitors. But since then, the term came to mean any monitor that has the ability to synchronise to more than one type of signal.

So, for example, in the IBM PC family, the IBM EGA monitor (5154) can be considered to be "multisync" (in the generic sense of the word). It will synchronise to and display the standard CGA and standard EGA signals.

Can I use it with all colour display types e.g EGA CGA VGA.
Each make/model of "multisync" (generic sense of the word) monitors are restricted in the range of signals that they can synchronise to and display. Therefore, one needs to consult the monitor's specifications in order to determine that.

The Original NEC Multisync...

The Original NEC Multisync...

These are the multisyncs that I have and use regularly. Yes, they are compatable with any video card, mono, CGA, EGA or VGA. They are the original NEC multisync and its Forefront clone. I use this because I have many (different) computers on my bench and with this I don't need a variety of monitors, just one. Also, it has a fantastic picture, and that's always a plus.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?25760-NEC-(and-other)-multisync-monitors

There's also a link to the specs and other info in the above post.

For you to be able to do CGA/EGA/VGA, you would need one that handles digital (CGA/EGA) as well as analogue (VGA) signals.
On both signaling types, there are two signals present, horizontal sync and vertical sync. Horizontal sync basically tells the monitor when a horizontal line on the screen starts. Vertical sync basically tells the monitor when it should be at the top line.
Multisync indicates that the monitor can display video where the horizontal sync and vertical sync are not just fixed, like with the good old 5151 monitor with 18.432 kHz horizontal and 50 Hz vertical. Bad things would happen if you tried to drive the monitor at different frequencies.
On the other hand, a multisync monitor, like the NEC Multisync II, will handle a range or frequencies, horizontal 15.5 kHz to 35 kHz, and vertical 50 Hz to 80 Hz. I think you needed a connector adapter to connect VGA; I seem to remember it only had a 9-pin connector, but it could do CGA/EGA/VGA.
patscc

Thanks for the info. I used to use a NEC Multisync 3FG a long time ago. I just thought it was a trademark but it actually was a "multisync monitor" (31khz to 49khz). How much should I expect to pay for a multisync monitor? I just acquired a Tandy CM-11 CGA monitor so it is not as crucial to get a colour display now but I would still like to run a computer in EGA mode.

As you could see from the link I posted above I am selling them for $100 plus shipping and I doubt you will see anything even close to that anywhere else. However, it would cost an arm and a leg to ship downunder so I don't think you could get one from me for a reasonable price. Shipping would be $300 - $350 :)

Are you asking about an EGA monitor or how much your NEC would be today? I've found lots of NEC multisync CRTs for next to nothing (I wouldn't pay any more than $50 to get one) today. They're heavy and a CRT isn't in high demand but those are svga monitors. On the bright side they'll work with other systems like the Amiga 3000 VGA port. An IBM EGA monitor is what Stone is referring to. They're hard to come by for some reason and can sell from anywhere $50-300, then you'd need an EGA video card as well.

generic486, do you guys have thrift stores and garage sales, fleamarkets and the like over there ? Just keep your eyes open. You might have the wait a while but eventually one should turn up. Or try to befriend a local recycler.
patscc

generic486, do you guys have thrift stores and garage sales, fleamarkets and the like over there ? Just keep your eyes open. You might have the wait a while but eventually one should turn up. Or try to befriend a local recycler.
patscc

Yes but most of the machines and CRT I see are from the post Pentium 2 era. Sometimes people will have a kerbside collection where people put their old stuff on the curb for recycling but more often than not people will take the stuff. I got rid of an old 486DX/4 IBM Aptiva that would not display nor boot using this as well as a few Compaq EVO towers and a few hours after I put them out there, they were gone. I did see someone I know up the road junking loads of computer from early 90 to late 90's including some Model M keyboards and an old TPG computer (i suspect P2), there was an old monitor there with a 9 pin connector, i think it was a NEC multisync but I didn't get it because the stuff in the pile of computers was completly infested with ants, living ones too. (apparently someone down the road was junking a great condition Apple IIC with monitor and manuals, sadly I missed that one) I have gone to recyclers and the local dump but they are very strict about dumping here. Mostly late 90's CRT's but a few early ones. Fact is, finding a computer early then 1997-8 in the "wild" is very lucky.

For some reason, finding an EGA video card is not an issue for me. I have 3. In fact, I think it is easier to find a EGA card here than a CGA only card. But finding a EGA monitor is impossible. Even finding a CGA monitor is hard or any 9 pin monitor. I did a while back see a EGA 5154. As you can imagine, that thing sold for loads. I really like the style of the old IBM monitors used on the 515X series. If i ever see a 5151 or 5153, I'll probably buy it. 5154 is to expensive for my tastes.

I only have one ISA VGA card, a trident card. And it does not work in 8 bit slots. I also want to make use of the preexisting cards in the machines I buy.
EDIT: Well it actually does work, i was wrong there. But I would have to change the card I use back and forth from the XT and the 486 where I got it from.

Last edited:
I suppose I could but its something about the period equipment that makes the machine look aesthetically good. Call me picky but I tried my old DEC VRC-16 from only 3 years later than the computer and it looks "unfitting"to the PC. And the old VRC-16 is so heavy- like 10-15kg. I'm afraid it might bend the metal case of the PC. Geez, VGA monitors were so much more heavy then their monochrome counterparts. My monochrome monitor is only two inches smaller but it half the weight of the VRC-16.

I completely understand. Just keep looking, one will eventually turn up. I did a quick look on Australian eBay, and there's not a lot of CRT monitors there, period. What did you guys do with all your CRT's ?
patscc

Almost all modern monitors are multi-synch. Prior to multi-synch monitors, a monitor would synchronize at only one frequency. In a practical sense, this limited the monitor to a single resolution. For example, I have an old VGA monitor that only works at 640x480. It won't accept 800x600 or 1024x768. NEC had (has?) a trademark on the MultiSync name. Sony came out with a similar product soon after NEC. I think their name was Multiscan.

There's also that New Zealand www.trademe.co.nz site as well. I'm not sure how horrible shipping is from there to Australia but I'd imagine if you did find one it might be cheaper than another country.

tomasont said

Agreed, but not all of them can handle the older 9-pin digital formats (MDA/CGA/EGA)
patscc
And I'm in agreement with you, patsc. I don't consider the newer ‘multisyncs’ that only do VGA to be true multisyncs. The old NEC JC-1401P3A is what I'm referring to when I say older multisync. It has a native 9 pin output, an Analog/TTL toggle on it, and it works with MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA video cards. This is exactly what I use on my bench so I only need one monitor, not four. :)

It's a pity LCD flatpanels didn't become popular twenty years ago or so, it would be great to have a LCD flatpanel that does MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA+
patscc

Back