• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Reason to keep an NEC Multisync CRT?

Ole Juul

Veteran Member
I hate to throw stuff away, or see other people doing it. A few days back I got a nice modernish computer which will do me nicely, but it had a huge CRT which I didn't take because, well, it's huge and heavy and ugly as sin. Is there a good reason to have an NEC Flat MultiSync 77F CRT? It is not remotely vintage since that model appears to be from 2001. The only reason I ask is that I hate to see stuff go to the dump, and there is so much talk about "multisync" on the forum that perhaps I'm missing something. The specs are something like this.

Code:
Synchronization                 Horizontal:  31 kHz to 70 kHz                                 Automatically
Range                              Vertical: 55 Hz to 120 Hz                                  Automatically
Resolutions Supported                        640 x 480 @ 60 to 120 Hz                         Some systems may not support
Resolution based on horizontal and           800 x 600 @ 55 to 110 Hz                         all modes listed.
vertical frequencies only                    832 x 624 @ 55 to 106 Hz
                                             1024 x 768 @ 55 to 87 Hz ....................... NEC-Mitsubishi Electronics Display cites
                                             1152 x 870 @ 55 to 77 Hz                         recommended resolution at
                                             1280 x 1024 @ 55 to 66 Hz                        85 Hz for optimal display performance.

I would say, hook it up and see how the screen is, CTR screens often do show colors better then LCD screens with a TN panel, and I've heard NEC usually does make really good screens.
on the other hand, if you find it so ugly, even if the screens quality is good, that may be a reason not to keep it.

some graphic designers often do want to have a CRT screen as the colors more accurate, IPS displays would be preferred but mostly since they aren't as large and just easier to place somewhere.
I know someone who works in DTP and he does still use two CRT displays, right now I believe both are iiyama but he used to have NEC displays as well.
and I myself still use a display from Sony because the image quality is just too good not to, but I do think I should note that the Sony I have is a high-end trinitron MultiScan series (Sony trinitron Multiscan 500PS) with BNC and supports resolutions up to 1600x900 @ 80 Hz (which is way to small to actually be able to read something but...), but it may be good to at least take a look at it.

The only reason I ask is that I hate to see stuff go to the dump, and there is so much talk about "multisync" on the forum that perhaps I'm missing something.

Older multisyncs could handle the lower output frequencies from CGA, MDA/Hercules, and EGA cards, and so were useful for vintage systems as you could use one monitor for everything. Later Multisyncs like yours dropped that feature and so are just normal VGA CRT monitors.

Older multisyncs could handle the lower output frequencies from CGA, MDA/Hercules, and EGA cards, and so were useful for vintage systems as you could use one monitor for everything. Later Multisyncs like yours dropped that feature and so are just normal VGA CRT monitors.

True to some extend, Amiga's are reknown for requireing a Multisync monitor that can pickup on their 15KHz Horizontal refresh rate.
Judging from the specs That nec multi sync monitor isn't that bad, I really depends on the Fosfor layer of the tube how the quality of the image on screen is.

I personally wouldn't feel bad about dropping it at a thrift store or something, or even recycling it if there's no other option. Those things are just too inconvenient to keep around without good reason. I have a few CRTs, but they each have something that sets them apart from the usual dime-a-dozen monitors... one's an Amiga monitor which will also handle the 15khz sync of other systems, one's a nice 17" Trinitron screen that'll do up to 1600x1200, and the last one is an Apple 15" that will work on my old Macs without having to screw with adapters (and is fairly small anyway).

Your NEC one, OTOH, doesn't really have anything particularly notable about it. It doesn't do the 15khz sync, no unusual connection options (BNC, 13W3, etc.), nor can it do really high resolutions or refresh rates, and it's a shadow mask screen. It's basically the CRT equivalent of those 19" widecreen LCDs of today... zillions of them made under a zillion different brands and all pretty similar, sold pretty cheap (and often included in combo deals with a computer), OK picture but nothing spectacular.

FishFinger said:

Thanks, now I get it. That's really what I needed to know.

I personally wouldn't feel bad about dropping it at a thrift store or something, or even recycling it if there's no other option. Those things are just too inconvenient to keep around without good reason. I have a few CRTs, but they each have something that sets them apart from the usual dime-a-dozen monitors...

Luckily I left it there. It's just around the corner in the unused Hotel office and I'll let the the next owner/manager deal with the hazzle of paying a fee at the dump or being turned down at the trift shop.

I actually have a nice little collection of old CRTs as well. A whack of MDA monitors in various colours which I really love, and a few smaller VGA, including IBM mono. These are all vintage and deserve to be kept.

Your NEC one, OTOH, doesn't really have anything particularly notable about it. It doesn't do the 15khz sync, no unusual connection options (BNC, 13W3, etc.), nor can it do really high resolutions or refresh rates, and it's a shadow mask screen. It's basically the CRT equivalent of those 19" widecreen LCDs of today... zillions of them made under a zillion different brands and all pretty similar, sold pretty cheap (and often included in combo deals with a computer), OK picture but nothing spectacular.

I'm glad to hear that. My mind's made up and I won't feel guilty now. :)

Back