• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

wordstar and it's history

wdegroot

Experienced Member
this time I checked the title
I have a lon-ish text file about wordstar history
some rare versions are listed by name
might vbe a way to find them ?

Maybe list which versions you are looking for and someone might be able to help. Though the last versions will be hard to get, slow buggy software that is vastly behind the competion is more likely to be disposed of than preserved.

wordstar 4 even with its 1987 type limitations,
performed well for me.
I had a little trouble using column mode.
mostly to save paper. And the search and replace was to em tricky.
but for straight non-documnent word processing I was satisfied.
One thing I wished for WYSIWYG. That was not possible on even a 10 mhz 8088. Even when we had a 12 mhz 286 a real wisi- wp was slow. We did work for others and used wp51. It supported all printers and did have vuilt-in mouse support.
BUT a mouse did little good. you did not need one and it ran on an 8088. Later I got wp to send me two copies of wp6.0 for dos.
One for my boss. It dis everything and more. But it needed a 386 at least..

That depended on the wordprocessor. For example, GeoWorks was amazingly fast on an XT style system; only the fastest DOS word processors were faster. If one looks at the early comparisons of Ami, Ami's speed was equivalent to middle of the pack DOS word processors. Those comparisons were for full WYSIWYG by Ami versus character mode for the DOS word processors; Ami's draft mode was significantly faster.

Note: I did manage to do most of my magazine writing using Word for Windows 1 on a 286. Of course, since the magazine I wrote for mainly covered Windows and my writing concerned WinWord macro programming, I didn't have much choice.

Back