• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need memory for your big rig?

My Asus Sabertooth 990FX supports up to 32GB but I think that's an overkill. Would be great for a server though.

Mine Gigabyte 990FX MoBo has that ammount. ;)
Then again I like to use RAMFS under linux a lot so it makes sense.

PS: In windows I average on RAM usage between 4GB and 12GB.
What i do on my main is EE, So i have 3 monitors One for Datasheets and Text, Main as general work area and another for File/Web Browsing.
In linux I Use 6GB as RAMFS and in general use the spare memory for disk caching.(This greatly reduces access time IMHO)
In general you need more then 8GB to Compile stuff like OpenOffice, and for stuff like a KDE as a complete desktop environment you require more then 2GB.(Sorry Gentoo User.)

Last edited:
That's actually not entirely true of XP 32-bit. You can turn on PAE. You're still limited to a max off 4 GByte per process, though.
edit I think PAE functionality was reduced either with SP1 or SP2, since there were issues with either driver or hardware design, something like that. Can't remember.
patscc

Maybe I should have specified W7, but the inference was about a modern up-to-date system. Why would anyone want to invest in a high performance rig and then use a 12 year old or so 32-bit OS for your primary operating system? PAE is kind of kludgy anyway and takes a little savvy to setup properly. The average user wouldn't even think about it unless the IT guy at work mentioned it during the coffee break. Also, I don't think any of the games from the Xp era are going to benifit much from 16/32 GB, no matter what your mobo configuration is.

Well, if you have a large, +100k source lines base of some widget, and it's optimized for XP, that'd be one reason to stick to it. The other one is that one might not be all that chuffed about the changes Vista and Win 7 have introduced, or should I say foisted on us.
Just because it's 12 years old doesn't mean it's bad. Look how long people ran NT4 server & 2000 server.
patscc

Well, if you have a large, +100k source lines base of some widget, and it's optimized for XP, that'd be one reason to stick to it. The other one is that one might not be all that chuffed about the changes Vista and Win 7 have introduced, or should I say foisted on us.
Just because it's 12 years old doesn't mean it's bad. Look how long people ran NT4 server & 2000 server.
patscc

No, no - don't get me wrong, I love Xp and run it on several of my machines, including a drive on my big box. It's just that everthing has its place and the performace factor just doesn't seem to match up with today's software. It's always neat to be able to retro/coax an older OS into doing something it was never intended to do.

Don't you mean today's software isn't capable of playing nice ? :) I wasn't picking on you, it was just a bit of a rant bubbling up. I try to refrain from that on regular threads, but I'm only human.

I've also been let down, taste-wise, by my late-nite snack, and that always puts me in a foul mood.

Performance is relative. Personally, I think Win 7 explorer is a piece of C***P, in that it's always checking the network, checking folders, this, that, and so on. I like the kernel, but the User layer, ay weh!

I think there needs to be a *.cpl in Windows marked "FIX SLOW", and, among a whole lot of other things, should have an option ( cloaked in friendly-speak, not really my thing ) that let's you set the time-out interval for network transactions.
Again, in friendly-speak, like, "Setting it low means you're not waiting for third-party servers serving up ads to the page you're trying to view, which has embedded script to prevent page display until ad X has loaded".
Stick something in there that let J. User pick, 1 second, give up, 1 second, notify me once, no reply terminate, keep trying, you get the idea, as the system base, and then ENFORCE it for all connections through the network stack. Oh, uh, and *nix is doing a pretty good job lately of emulating the Windows OOB. This is *not* a compliment.

It's like it's called cloud computing because we're a bunch of f* sheep looking at the clouds waiting for UI transactions to process.
We're going back to the terminal-mainframe era, but with a bit of a twist, we're all just using one OS.
If we could all just fess up and say it's okay to have a OS that's good at lots of pretty screens, playing video games, running Office, etc., and another OS that is really good at hosting back-end processes, is optimized for thousand of concurrent threads, or fibers (depending which universe you live in) we could all get back...

*whew* I did manage to stem the flow. Sorry, folks, but every once in a while it just happens.
patscc

Back