• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What's the most common vintage computer you come across?

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
By "vintage" I'm talking 70s/80s. I seem to find Compaq portables and Kaypro 2s all the time to the point I'm wondering just how many of these things sold. I'm starting to think they are more ubiquitous than the venerable Apple IIe. Which vintage computers do you seem to keep stumbling on?

I imagine it might be location centric. I'm trying to think, I see lots of different systems pop up and it's hard to say since a lot are reposts from bad prices. Down here I'd say TI-99/4a I see lots of and they aren't worth much if anything. You can come across boxed ones all the time and they still aren't worth more than $40. Commodore 64 of course most sold computer (of all time?) pop up frequently as well. Kaypro II is a good one though those also seem to be low in value and pretty common. Compaq portables I don't see that often but love. Does the Mac SE/early models count? Those I see all the time for too high prices. They sorta flood most of the search results I get.

It's Apple stuff for me. I'm always coming across the first generation of Macs. I've got 4 or 5 of them. Next in line is probably the C-64, the Vic-20, and I see quite a few IBM 5150s.

Back in the 90s, I was always finding the Timex Sinclair / ZX81s. I had one and I hated it. Of course, I'd come into possession of them all the time. "Here! You like old junk, don't you?" Yeah, thanks for the useless black & white computer with a crappy keyboard, 1K of RAM, and a 16 RAM Pack which locks up the computer if you fart in the same room as it.

I see loads of C64's and a few Microbees around. I see very little IBM PC or compatibles being sold. I suspect people kept the commodore 64's because they are small and compact.

Lots of Pentium 1 computers crop up around here. Not any real vintage computers come up for grabs, except for E-Waste day. (Not vintage, but Dell Optiplex GX150s seem to be a dime-a-dozen.)

Back