• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Geos with the 512K RAM expansion cartridge on C-64?

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

I am one of those who shelled out a couple of C notes for the 512K RAM expansion cart for the C-64. I have noticed from the online copy of "Commodorer Microcomputer" referenced in the spreadsheet thread (thanks!) that a product called Kwik-load from Data-most is a disk speedup program that doesn't require the cartridge slot to work - it is on floppy. Of the program loading times noted, it only sped up about 20% of those tested. The Fast Load cart is about the same. So, the question is: is there a way to speed up a load operation of Geos on the C-64, and can that program make use of the epanded memory cartridge.

Also, is there going to be some kind of hazing due to suggesting going over 64K? Remember, 64K is all we'll ever need... :)

Thanks,
Sean

There's very little that can be done to improve load speed of GEOS. It uses it's own loader routines, so most of the fast loaders, including JiffyDOS I think, are ignored.

Using the 1750 with GEOS can give you huge benefits. I load all of my frequently used stuff onto the REU at startup, so then when running those programs, they run from the REU instead of disk. It increases initial load time of course. If you want more information about the program that does this, let me know and I'll get the names for you.

I suppose GEOS also won't benefit from a parallel mod? How about GEOS 128 and a 1571, will at least burst mode be activated? Yes, I know the thread is about GEOS on a C64 so not immediately related anyway unless moving to a C128 would be the only known solution.

I seem to remember that some of the more expensive RAM expansions like RAMlink had battery backup. Is that so, and could it be utilized to load GEOS into its expansion memory and then keep it powered on through batteries so it will be there even after you shut down for the night?

Can GEOS be installed on a SD device like the sd2iec series? I've seen a number of posts about the firmware trying to support DNP disk images but I haven't kept track of that. According to the wiki, sd2iec in native Commodore mode is about 1.6X as fast as a 1541, but perhaps that doesn't apply to GEOS own loading routines even if it would work. Also, is it correct to assume that the operating system can not be installed to any form of hard drive, including everything from CMD to IDE64?

GEOS 128 did utilize all the capabilities of the 1571. GEOS 64 for that matter used it as a 2-sided drive. I used GEOS 128 with a 1571, 1581, and 1750 for a few years. It wasn't as nice as an Amiga of course, but it made for awfully nice 8-bit computing.

Can GEOS be installed on a SD device like the sd2iec series? I've seen a number of posts about the firmware trying to support DNP disk images but I haven't kept track of that. According to the wiki, sd2iec in native Commodore mode is about 1.6X as fast as a 1541, but perhaps that doesn't apply to GEOS own loading routines even if it would work. Also, is it correct to assume that the operating system can not be installed to any form of hard drive, including everything from CMD to IDE64?

GEOS works quite well on an uIEC/SD. Since the uIEC has JiffyDOS-compatible firmware, if you have the corresponding JiffyDOS kernal in the C64, it is amazingly fast. I actually recorded a video of it, never got around to uploading it.

I don't have a CMD, but I do recall seeing references to GEOS being installed on one.

I've been using GEOS with REU and uIEC/SD. I should note that I've never used GEOS 64 besides just testing, so everything I've done has been on my 128D. I think most of the information still applies though.

The programs I use are called Qwikpik and Qwikstash. These will copy the files you choose to the REU. I have them set to start automatically, so the programs I need to run frequently are actually run from my 1750, which is set up as "RAM 1571". So what I've done for years is load GEOS from my 1581 and then copy frequently used programs to REU and then everything runs quite fast.

Recently I moved my 1581 image to the uIEC/SD and now I load from that. That was an adventure in itself, because just zipping up my 1581 disk into a D81 image didn't work. I had to get a specially modified d81 image from Maurice Randall's site at cbmfiles.com. If you didn't know, he provides "cracked" versions of GEOS for free. Anyway, this made it even faster, but unfortunately it still loads through the serial bus and is still slow.

I know this is way beyond what the OP asked for, but I also wanted to share my speed tests using 1581 vs uIEC. This is copied from the uIEC Discussion Group from several months ago:

Ok I added my 2 auto-exec files Blackout128 and Quikstash, which
copies files to the REU on startup for faster access.
Here are the load times, measured from power on (or typing RUN from
the uIEC) to when all disk activity stops.

NO REU (Quikstash is ignored)
1581-45 seconds
uIEC-25 seconds
(uIEC is 44% faster)

WITH REU
1581-1 min, 35 seconds
uIEC-58 seconds
(uIEC is 39% faster)

You can see that Quikstash adds a lot of time to GEOS startup, but it
makes everything run much faster from REU. I have it copying 13 files
to REU on startup. Oh, and of course, this is all with JiffyDOS
enabled.

Good, so I was proven wrong on most accounts. It means Sean actually has a number of options to speed up his GEOS loading experience, depending on which additional hardware and firmware he has available and/or is willing to invest in.

Here are the load times, measured from power on (or typing RUN from
the uIEC) to when all disk activity stops.

NO REU (Quikstash is ignored)
1581-45 seconds
uIEC-25 seconds
(uIEC is 44% faster)

25 seconds to boot GEOS on a 64, even a modified 64, is awfully good. People are impressed when I tell them Windows 7 boots in about 30 seconds on my SSD-equipped PC.

I suppose GEOS also won't benefit from a parallel mod? How about GEOS 128 and a 1571, will at least burst mode be activated? Yes, I know the thread is about GEOS on a C64 so not immediately related anyway unless moving to a C128 would be the only known solution.

I seem to remember that some of the more expensive RAM expansions like RAMlink had battery backup. Is that so, and could it be utilized to load GEOS into its expansion memory and then keep it powered on through batteries so it will be there even after you shut down for the night?

Carlsson, thinking outside the box for creative solutions as usual :)

Sean

Yes, that is true. GEOS really flies with a RAMLink. And the RL gives you JiffyDOS for the computer side.

Of course, the RL needs some memory,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

I've been using GEOS with REU and uIEC/SD. I should note that I've never used GEOS 64 besides just testing, so everything I've done has been on my 128D. I think most of the information still applies though.

The programs I use are called Qwikpik and Qwikstash.

[...]

I know this is way beyond what the OP asked for

Kevin,

Just what the doctor ordered. With your permission I'd like to archive your post. May I copy it?

Oh, I'm hoping that the two programs you mentioned come on the 1750 floppy disk. Or do I need to get them somewhere else?

Thanks,
Sean

Back