• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing IBM XT286 mainboard

SunDown79

Veteran Member
I am in the progress of restoring an IBM XT286 and I nearly have all parts now and am ready to install the mainboard.
My question is if anybody knows if the plastic thingies inbetween the case and the mainboard are all the same (and standard) ?

I am sure that I will get it fitted anyhow but would like to know how it SHOULD be installed :)

Thanks!

Stefan.

Last edited:
Hmm black stand-offs huh, thats going to be tricky, might stick to normal ones.

Another question, could any of you take a picture of the screws holding the power supply in place, I think the ones that are in it right now aren't right.

My case is original but it has a scratch on the top so I have to see how I am going to fix that

Just had a look at my XT 286 and it 's the same as in the pic that jorg just posted, also same screws are used in my 5150 / 5160 machines.

As I thought, bummer, sourced all kinds of IBM screws but not those ones, darn it.
But, I have a another 5170 that I can steal from, seems to have similar screws (just silver coloured and smaller diameter but fits) :)

Ow and about the floppydrive, according to my original IBM docs these are the standard features for a 5162 :

• Power supply
    • 157-watt
    • Internally switched to support 115V AC or 230 AC.
  • System board
    • 80286 Microprocessor
    • 6 MHz Clock
    • 8 Expansion Slots
      • 5 with a 36-pin and 62-pin card edge sockets
      • 3 with only the 62-pin card edge socket.
    • 640Kb base random access memory (RAM)
    • Complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) RAM to maintain the system setup configuration
    • Battery to keep CMOS active when power is off.
  • Speaker
  • Half-height 1.2Mb diskette drive
  • 20Mb fixed disk drive
  • 101/102-key keyboard

Further in the text it talks about the option of adding a 360Kb 5.25" drive (next to the 1.2Mb drive) if someone should need to transport data to another system that only could use single-sided or double-sided double-density floppies. Which seems a bit strange to do as I always presumed all 1.2Mb drives could write 360Kb floppies ?

Ow I am still looking for a battery holder door and battery holder + battery itself, anyone ?

Further in the text it talks about the option of adding a 360Kb 5.25" drive (next to the 1.2Mb drive) if someone should need to transport data to another system that only could use single-sided or double-sided double-density floppies. Which seems a bit strange to do as I always presumed all 1.2Mb drives could write 360Kb floppies.
Yes, but not all 1.2MB drives can write 360K floppies that all 360K drives can read. :)

Further in the text it talks about the option of adding a 360Kb 5.25" drive (next to the 1.2Mb drive) if someone should need to transport data to another system that only could use single-sided or double-sided double-density floppies. Which seems a bit strange to do as I always presumed all 1.2Mb drives could write 360Kb floppies?
They can, but the problem lies in the fact that the 1.2MB drive has a much narrower R/W head. If there is data on the track from before, the old data won't be completely overwritten, and it can interfere with the new data if you try to read the disk in a 360KB-only drive afterwards.

Right mainboard is installed, now lets see if I have a harddisk of 20MB.

Does anyone have a holder for the speaker spare by any chance ? the one I have doesn't stay fixed to the case.

It has the same part number but I have seen some pictures where it attached with a screw and I need one without screw.

Hmm I wonder if they were simply used both. Are the peg and screw aligned ?
Ow and any idea how far the peg and screw are spaced from each other ?

I had the same problem with mine and used double sided sticky tape, either that or you can use a holder from a 5160 with the peg and screw, it's a perfect fit, (same chassis)

Back