• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Trs-80 dt-1

the11thdoctor

I was recently given a TRS-80 DT-1 data terminal. Does anyone have any experience with one? I was hoping to figure out a way to connect it to a PC or a TRS-80.

With the RS232 serial port is the usual way to connect the DT-1 to a TRS-80. Connect a null-modem cable between your DT-1 and TRS-80 RS232 port (All 4Ps, all 4Ds, most 4s, about 1/2 of the IIIs, and some of the M1s have an RS232 port). Run a terminal program on the TRS-80, read the operation manual for the DT-1, match the baud rates and you are all set.

Ian.

Wow. Crazy system. Looks like like a model 4 but has both z80 and 68000? That's pretty bad ass. I'm surprised it's marketed just as a terminal.. seems like with a floppy drive you'd have a personal/lower end Model 16.

DT-1 has no processor. Its a terminal designed to be connected to the Model 2/12/16/6000 which have been upgraded to 68000 and running the Xenix OS, those machines have both the Z80 and 68000 in them.

I have a DT-1 that I got a while back for my back-burner Model 6000 project. So far I've only fired it up once, and I was unable to get any response from the keyboard. I haven't opened it up yet, but I'm wondering whether the DT-1 uses the same sort of capacitive keyboard mechanism as the Model II and its successors. Those include a little foam rubber pad in each key which is likely to have decomposed by Now. I've repaired my Model 12 and 6000 keyboards with expensive pad kits that I bought on eBay, but if I need to rebuild any more such keyboards then I'll probably try to manufacture my own replacement pads.

Incidentally, there happens to be another DT-1 listed on eBay at the moment.

Back