• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

commodore 4016-n with extreme water damage

The pet has a cute way of grounding the crt, spring coils coming off the monitor board that sit against the aquadag coating of the crt, giving the ground.

Thats a good solution.

Later,
dabone

I will post a pic of the heater element soon
its a cooker ring spiral element 1000w at 230v
IMG_20121008_183436.jpg

Last edited:
I am getting myself a solder hot air rework station for my birthday that will greatly help fix the commodore 4016 as most of the ICs are soldered in and a soldering iron is not good to remove them, so I will be fitting a lot of sockets, and it will help me keep it working long term after and I can swap the chips with the working commodore 8032

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ATTEN...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4abd4e8e08

Neat. Never seen those before. Have to keep an eye out for it here on the other side of the pond. Referring to the cooker springs.
patscc

Last edited:
The pet has a cute way of grounding the crt, spring coils coming off the monitor board that sit against the aquadag coating of the crt, giving the ground.

Thats a good solution.

Later,
dabone
Not really that good...

Their resistance isn't going to be an issue but the problem with heater elements is that they're often insulated and usually not very springy and will probably not make very good contact, which can generate considerable electrical noise. I'm sure you can find springy wire or even similar springs in a dollar (pound?), crafts or even a toy store.

Good point, but the springs don't look insulated. It just looks like coiled nichrome or some other heating wire. Kinda like toaster wire, just coiled. Or that's the impression I'm getting.
patscc

Good point, but the springs don't look insulated. It just looks like coiled nichrome or some other heating wire. Kinda like toaster wire, just coiled. Or that's the impression I'm getting.
patscc
Presumably; in fact, even some toasters used coiled resistance wire like that. I didn't mean insulated with pvc, but sometimes there's a relatively non-conductive coating of some kind on it, presumably to keep it from oxidizing. Not very springy in any case and why bother if you can easily find more appropriate stuff.

Maybe rorypoole can measure the resistance for us. I've seen those elements, so I don't know how conductive/springy they are.
patscc
I wouldn't be too concerned about resistance, just possible arcing at the point of contact.

As with much of this stuff you (I) can come up with lots of reasons why something isn't right or won't work but often it works just fine regardless ;-) Ya won't know till ya try.

The flexable cooker elements is 58ohms according to my cheap DVM, but I dont think its springy enough, but I have not found a better spring

I have not found a spring yet but I can test the 4016 board in the working 8032 case so no rush, the uk dose not use screen doors!

I have got over 90kg of IEEE-488 HP-IB (Hewlett-Packard Interface Bus), GPIB (General Purpose Interface Bus) leads and I cant use that many! So I am offering some of them for £1 each not including cheap postage/shipping to vintage-computer.com users, some are very short some long I will post some pics and sizes later.

where can I get some IEEE 488 to commodore edge connecter adapter's?

IEEE 488 to pet adapter design?
http://www.go4retro.com/2012/02/29/ieee-adapter/

Last edited:
Back