• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Warning From Toshiba

No, I don't have the right, but I certainly have choices I can make.

This debate was hashed over years ago when Napster hit the scene. Recording companies have had a policy for years to require us to re-purchase music every time the media changed. Say you bought an album by a popular artist on vinyl. Then 8-track tapes came out. Couldn't upgrade. No, you had to pay full price to own it on 8-track. Then it was cassette tape or open reel. Then Compact Disc. Now MP3's.
The recording industry had degraded to the point that to purchase a top ten hit, you had to pay $18 for a CD with only one good song on it and the rest crap. That's probably the biggest reason file sharing became so popular.
In other words, the public made a choice. Continue paying $18 to get 1 song or download it off the internet for free. And to tell you the truth, most people didn't feel too sorry for that industry when it happened.

30 year old microcomputer software? Please!!!!!

Any house that is left vacant for 20-30 years will be considered a derelict and razed to the ground by the local government for safety reasons.
It's hard to make any comparison between an auto or house and software that 99.99% of the general public would find useless.

So you're saying that Mob Rule is right, and it's okay with you if someone breaks into your house and cleans it out of the valuables while you're gone to work, because they have decided that it was abandoned? Right?

You don't have the right or knowledge to be able to establish when something is neglected by the owner, or abandon by the owner, and even if the owner isn't home, or isn't using the property, that doesn't give you the right to break-in and take what you want.

What's your street address, where can I find the easily pawned stuff, and when will you be gone?

My extra cars are parked in my garage. My daily drivers are parked in the driveway. Just because I don't drive the three Porsches in the garage every day, once a month, once a year, or once every ten years doesn't mean that they are not being maintained, or they have been abandoned. It just means that I choose not to drive them.

Last edited:
Let's keep this little debate from getting caustic.

Regardless of whether you think it is silly or not, copyright law is still law. Make your own decisions and do it in private. :)

Amen to that! :D It's one thing to find the copyright law silly, and I am not saying whether or not I do, but it's another thing entirely to openly explain why you believe it is perfectly fine to break that law and why you think others should go ahead and break that law too.

. . . it's another thing entirely to openly explain why you believe it is perfectly fine to break that law and why you think others should go ahead and break that law too.
In the current world environment of change regarding those kinds of laws, I think that discussion, and those statements are perfectly acceptable. Where there is a problem, is that this is not a good venue, particularly regarding things which concern possible legal infractions which could affect the well-being of the forum. :)

My take on the topic situation is that I bemoan the days when an electronic device came with a schematic, and companies didn't try to make money by selling small related items. These Toshiba manuals are not (afaik) great works. They are, in fact, quite minimal and don't represent a great development cost such as would been incurred by the development of the laptop itself. In this case, copyright is just an excuse. I understand RickNel's analysis of the situation and agree that is probably what is happening. However, this is just such a wimpy way for a company to act, and not something they should be proud of. For a minuscule effort they could build much good will instead of incurring the wrath of many technical people all across the net. People who, coincidently are significant opinion setters regarding computers. This whole thing is just bad politics, and bad business.

Back