• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to get a computer with Windows 98 for gaming?

Typically modern monitors will work just fine, though most modern monitors are LCDs and I much prefer CRTs - especially for older games, since LCDs will badly stretch the low-res picture out to their native resolution and it looks horribly ugly.

Tell us about the new old PC. Did you get a nice fast PIII with ISA slots?

As for monitors, you don't really need drivers. Those are for fancy features like power saving. Anything with a VGA port will work with your computer. Most monitors with a DVI port will work with an adaptor. Avoid anything with only HDMI or Displayport, but those are going to be really, really new displays.

I too would recommend an old CRT. They just look right.

We can't help with the mouse/keyboard suggestions (other than Goodwill) until we know more about the PC you have. You might need an AT keyboard and a 9-pin serial mouse, or a PS/2 style mouse and keyboard. Depends on the age of the system. I'm with Hatta - 440BX chipset, PIII 500, Voodoo 2 or 3, ISA and PCI slots, 40gb hard drive, DVD-ROM / CD-RW, Win 98SE. And a big old 50lb CRT. :)

The computer is a Systemax and has 512mb memory and an AMD athlon XP processor, it's in really good shape. Other than that, I don't know too much about it. I'm not the most knowledgeable about computers... I guess I'll have to learn!
And I went with everyone's advice and got a CRT monitor. I was looking at some LCDs but they just didn't seem right. I also have a usb keyboard and mouse that I found that should work with it.

I'm still waiting on the monitor to be delivered, but I can't wait to put it all together!
Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it! I'll post more information as I learn more.

The USB keyboard and mouse will probably not work. Just because you HAVE USB ports doesn't mean you can actually USE them. Win98 isn't great with USB. If it's that new it should have PS2 mouse and keyboard ports. They are round, about the size of your little finger tip, and usually brightly colored. If you get a keyboard error, don't panic, just find a PS2 keyboard & mouse. Look in thrift stores first, then computer repair shops.

The computer is a Systemax and has 512mb memory and an AMD athlon XP processor, it's in really good shape. Other than that, I don't know too much about it. I'm not the most knowledgeable about computers... I guess I'll have to learn!
And I went with everyone's advice and got a CRT monitor. I was looking at some LCDs but they just didn't seem right. I also have a usb keyboard and mouse that I found that should work with it.

I'm still waiting on the monitor to be delivered, but I can't wait to put it all together!
Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it! I'll post more information as I learn more.

You should be able to pick up PS/2 Mice and Keyboard easily from a dump or recycling center. They're common today as a lot of manufacturers are urging to move over to USB and it wasn't until Windows XP that the Windows OS was comfortable with USB peripherals. You can try a USB mouse and keyboard but don't expect the best.

I'd be surprised if your Systemax computer came with Windows 98 originally installed on it. The timeline for the release of the Athlon XP processor would have been closer to the Windows ME/2000/XP period depending on the Athlon XP version. You may want to verify that you are not missing any necessary drivers.

Back