• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Internet in 386 pc

Dusannn

Experienced Member
Hello!
I have a question...
Is it possible to run arachne browser in dos and get internet over parallel port.
I have male-to-male parallel port cable for transferring data, known as "laplink" cable.

Also, does anyone have e6qmouse x31 driver for dos? it's 3 button serial mouse

Thanks!
But, for mouse... Friend who gave me mouse said it works in Windows 98SE, but i couldn't use it in two XP machines nor in 386.

Thanks! I'll check this Xircom.
And for mouse, I found out that wires do not have good contact - so, I will solve the problem.

Ah, if anyone has pinout for this mouse? One wire is not connected with pin and there are 4 wires total. 3 wires pinout is: 3, 8, 1.

There is an unanswered question from the original post - has anybody used a LapLink cable over the parallel ports for TCP/IP networking? I suspect that there is a packet driver out there that does PPP over the parallel port, but I've not tried it myself. And it would require you to have a gateway machine that could act as a router to feed the DOS machine the intended TCP/IP packets.

I've done this for PPP and SLIP over a serial port using a Linux machine as the gateway. But not using the parallel port. Has anybody else done this? How about using Windows on both machines?

The Xircom is an extra cost option. But it does get you out of the requirement for a gateway machine. (The Xircom PE3 connects directly to a modern switch or hub if you have the right version. Some versions use ThinNet, so unless you are familiar with ThinNet avoid those.)

Hey, bumping old thread :) I am running epppd from dospppd package on 386 and I issued these commands on Linux box(they are connected via null modem cable):
1) sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
2) iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
3) iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
4) pppd ttyS0 9600 local lock passive proxyarp defaultroute mtu 576 192.168.1.17:192.168.1.18
epppd connects successfully, Brutmann's mTCP ping correctly only when I type ip address(like 79.101.110.45), but when I try something like www.google.com it says "error resolving server".
Also Bobcat and Doslynx report errors.
Thanks! :)

Oh, thanks! It was bad nameserver configuration :D
Finally surfing web in ms-dos! :D

For internet in a 386 mashine you can also use a 10Mbit ISA ethernet card. I have 2 of those and they are pretty cheap on ebay. Drivers are avialable for Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Earlier versions might support regular 3.11 as well

I wish I could offer more, but my first foray into networking was two windows 95 machines with a laplink cable, sharing dialup internet with router software. I have used the laplink for dos software as well to transfer files. I'm sure there is a parallel port packet driver somewhere as there were parallel port modems.

Back