• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

[UK] Silicon Dreams and VCF GB 5th - 7th July 2013

I have some ambitions to go there, just need to renew my passport first...

My understanding is that the majority of the 2010 arrangers have moved on to the new venue and seeked a license to keep using the VCF name, which would mean not much of the "team" still are at the old place, but of course I could have misunderstood or trusted false information in regards to this.

Hm.. UK at that time would be within reach from here.. but after looking around on the website it looks like they forgot to mention where, exactly, it is in the UK? :) I don't see the dates either, but you wrote that in the subject so did you look somewhere I couldn't find?

-Tor

Click on 'Visting' then 'The Venue' gives the location "You can find out more about Snibston Discovery Museum and the adjacent country park at www.snibston.com". Postcode (which Google maps understands) is LE67 3LN.

Date is given on one of the tweets on the right, I guess this will go into the main page at some point.... just check before you travel!

Regards,
John

Aha, thanks! They've hid it pretty well, I had just clicked on Visiting, that pull-down menu quickly disappears and your'e left with an empty page just saying "Visiting" (no link). Found it now though.

-Tor

I find quite often that people who advertise events forget to tell where it is, and sometimes also when it is. To them those details are so obvious and they already privately told their nearest friends so no need to "repeat" it. Eventually I'm sure even these arrangers will flesh out the site and be made obvious about the lack of detail.

I looked at various flight options but haven't yet determined which airport has the best combination of inexpensive but frequent flights and a short transfer. The only thing I found for certain is that flights to East Midlands are horrendously expensive, so that airport is completely out of the question.

Damn can't go, am doing music on the north Norfolk coast that weekend. I've a feeling it also clashes with the annual "Darling Buds classic car rally" at which Flossie is running....http://ict1301.co.uk/swof2012.htm - No...... aarrgghh missed the last one, she's moving :-( - Hopefully to Bletchley :).
For future years, I live near Luton airport, and would probably make the trip up. Possibly with a bit of car space.

I find quite often that people who advertise events forget to tell where it is, and sometimes also when it is. To them those details are so obvious and they already privately told their nearest friends so no need to "repeat" it. Eventually I'm sure even these arrangers will flesh out the site and be made obvious about the lack of detail.

I looked at various flight options but haven't yet determined which airport has the best combination of inexpensive but frequent flights and a short transfer. The only thing I found for certain is that flights to East Midlands are horrendously expensive, so that airport is completely out of the question.

Yes as the front page of the website currently mentions, there are details yet to be added to the website.

You are correct in that the bulk of the original team from the 2010 event are working on the new one, at a new location. Due to a number of circumstances it was not possible to run the event at Bletchley Park again.

Simon.
VCF-GB Event Manager.

Last edited:
I think I found their page but I didn't have time to navigate and no link off the main page but what is Silicon Dreams?

I think I found their page but I didn't have time to navigate and no link off the main page but what is Silicon Dreams?

As it says on the home page ;)

"The Silicon Dreams festival celebrates our silicon chip age. If you appreciate all things electronic, then this is the event for you. Modern and Retro, this event will feature a wide range of exhibits including computing, gaming, music, film and so much more…"

Simon.

Simon,

I have this listed on my site at http://www.classiccomputing.com/CC/Events.html

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Vintage Computer Festival GB

https://www.facebook.com/vcfgb & http://www.vintagecomputerfestival.org.uk/

Leicestershire, United Kingdom, 7/5 - 7/7

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is all correct? Thanks!

Best,

David Greelish
- Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
- Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

http://about.me/davidgreelish

Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

Damn can't go, am doing music on the north Norfolk coast that weekend.
Sorry Nige if you can't go. This event is on Fri/Sat/Sun - are you tied up playing all three days? Maybe you could plug your Norfolk gig here if you'd like any more support :)

regards,
John

Much worse than that, it's for my children's morris dancing group! so I'm afraid it's the oxymoron of "dance-music". Although the "Potty Morris" is quite good fun.

You are correct in that the bulk of the original team from the 2010 event are working on the new one, at a new location.

Simon.
VCF-GB Event Manager.

Thanks Simon, one request: please can you ensure a good supply of VCF-GB 2013 mugs for sale at the event? I have my VCF-GB 2010 mug of coffee in front of me as I type!

Regards,
John

I wonder if it will be completely crowded, so one saves time to have bought tickets in advance. That is assuming there is a separate, faster line for people who did.

I wonder if it will be completely crowded, so one saves time to have bought tickets in advance. That is assuming there is a separate, faster line for people who did.

I will discuss this with the venue when I see them in a few days, but I'd say that there should be an "express" queue for those who have already bought tickets.

Any chance of recording the talks? Perhaps could there be a way to telecommute? :)

This really depends on resources. I've got my own crew of sound/stage people. It has been discussed, but we *might* be overstretching ourselves. We'll see. :)

Back