• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIGS - Bad Clock Memory

Drken

Experienced Member
I have an Apple IIGS ROM3 motherboard here that is giving me a "Bad Clock Memory" error. I have been unable to find anything online indicating where on the motherboard the "clock memory" is. Does anyone here know? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

I have an Apple IIGS ROM3 motherboard here that is giving me a "Bad Clock Memory" error. I have been unable to find anything online indicating where on the motherboard the "clock memory" is. Does anyone here know? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

I am sure you have, and feel silly for asking, but you have changed out the (likely)dead battery right? I have NEVER heard that particular error before, but as it pertains to Clock/PRAM, battery should be first thing to check.

Like I said, I feel silly asking you, but I have had my, DUH! moments too ;-)

I am sure you have, and feel silly for asking, but you have changed out the (likely)dead battery right? I have NEVER heard that particular error before, but as it pertains to Clock/PRAM, battery should be first thing to check.

Like I said, I feel silly asking you, but I have had my, DUH! moments too ;-)

Don't feel silly - some of my best DUH! moments have come when I've been over-tired, and there has been a lot of long days & even longer nights these past several weeks! Sometimes, the most obvious isn't... :)

Yes, I tried several different, brand new 1/2AA cells, but kept getting the Bad Clock Memory error.

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

The real-time clock (RTC) chip provides parameter RAM preserved by battery power.

I have no idea if the RTC chip parameter RAM is the same memory that would be associated with a "Bad Clock Memory" error.

It appears that the RTC chip is the SER CLOCK ASIC 344-0040 located at UG3 highlighted here:
http://www.applelogic.org/files/3440040loc.jpg

And also highlighted in this schematic diagram:
http://www.applelogic.org/files/3440040.png

Many thanks as that was extremely helpful! On the ROM3 board, it is at UD4 and I looked at that multiple times but didn't see the "SER CLOCK" written at a right angle alongside the chip. Duh. Do you know if that is a readily-available chip or not? I hate tossing these old boards out if they are beyond hope (at least for my limited talents).

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

Many thanks as that was extremely helpful! On the ROM3 board, it is at UD4 and I looked at that multiple times but didn't see the "SER CLOCK" written at a right angle alongside the chip. Duh. Do you know if that is a readily-available chip or not? I hate tossing these old boards out if they are beyond hope (at least for my limited talents).

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

OK, now I KNOW it's time to take a nap. You said ASIC and my mind glossed over that fact.

Nite, all!

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

Back